Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 30th January, 2016. These are Important for the upcoming LIC AAO 2016 Exam.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank sets up cell to monitor govt schemes
- The Dharwad-headquartered Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB) has set up a separate cell for monitoring progress under all the government-sponsored schemes, according to Ashok Reddy, Chairman of the bank.
- According to a press release from the bank here on Saturday, Reddy received the ‘runner-up’ award of the ‘ASSOCHAM Social Banking Excellence Award 2015’ under the ‘regional rural banks’ category in Mumbai on Friday. The Minister of State for Finance, Jayant Sinha, gave away the award to Reddy.
- The cell at the head office in Dharwad monitors the progress of government-sponsored schemes such as the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY), the Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY), the Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY), the Atal Pension Yojana (APY), the Credit Guarantee Fund and the MUDRA Yojana.
- The bank has opened 10.30 lakh accounts covering all households with a bank account in its area of operation under PMJDY. He said 9.80 lakh RuPay cards have been issued to PMJDY account holders, and around 4,000 PMJDY account holders have been provided overdraft facility.
- The bank has canvassed 2.80 lakh policies under PMJJBY, 8.90 lakh policies under PMSBY and 1,500 under APY schemes. It has financed 15,813 accounts under the Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana amounting to Rs. 125 crore during the campaign period, he said.
Vice Admiral Lanba to take over as Western Naval Command chief
- Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba, PVSM, AVSM, will assume charge as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief Western Naval Command (FOC-in-C, West) here on Sunday.
- Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba completed his schooling from Mayo College in Ajmer. He is an alumnus of National Defence Academy and was commissioned in the executive branch of the Indian Navy in January 1978, an official release said on Saturday.
- After specialising in navigation and direction in 1983 the officer served as navigating officer of INS Sindhudurg (Corvette) and INS Dunagiri (Frigate). He has commanded Indian Naval Ships Kakinada (minesweeper), Himgiri (frigate), and guided missile destroyers Ranvijay and Mumbai.
Indo-Canadian Sikh Amrik Singh Ahluwalia Elected Head of Canada's Peel Police, the country's third largest municipal police force
- An Indo-Canadian Sikh has been unanimously elected as the head of Canada's Peel Police, the country's third largest municipal police force.
- Amrik Singh Ahluwalia was voted as the new chair of Ontario's Peel Police Services Board after receiving backing from Brampton Mayor Linda Jeffrey and Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie.
- The Peel Regional Police is Canada's third largest municipal police force, responsible for the provision of adequate and effective police services, law enforcement and crime prevention within the region, a duty it discharges through the enactment of policies.
Blue Star appoints Vir S Advani as MD
- Air conditioning and refrigeration major Blue Star Ltd said that its Board of Directors has appointed Vir S Advani as Managing Director and B Thiagarajan as Joint Managing Director, with effect from April 1, 2016. The current Managing Director, Satish Jamdar, will retire from the Board on March 31, 2016.
- Vir S Advani has been with the Blue Star group of companies since 2000. After managing independent assignments in associate companies, he joined Blue Star Ltd in 2007.
- He was appointed as Executive Director in 2010 and he was instrumental to turnaround the troubled Electro-Mechanical Projects business, said the company.
- He has also been leading the company's international business, and involved in the current extensive restructuring of the Group companies.
Leslie Berland appointed as Chief Marketing Officer of Twitter Inc
- Leslie Berland was on 26 January 2016 appointed as the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) of Twitter Inc, an online social networking site. Before Berland’s appointment, the marketing operations was overseen by the Twitter’s CFO Anthony Noto.
- Prior to this appointment, she was working at American Express (AmEx) as an executive vice-president of global advertising, marketing and digital partnerships.
Nation pays homage to those who sacrificed their lives on the occasion of Matyr's Day
- The nation today remembered Mahatma Gandhi on his 68th death anniversary with President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi leading the country in paying homage to the Father of the Nation.
- Mukherjee, Vice-President Hamid Ansari and Modi paid floral tributes at Gandhi’s memorial at Rajghat here.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and Urban Development minister M Venkaiah Naidu were among those who paid homage to the Father of the Nation at Rajghat, where an inter—religion prayer was held.
- Congress President Sonia Gandhi along with Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Ghulam Nabi Azad and former Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit paid homage to Mahatma.
- Tributes were also paid to those who sacrificed their lives for the country on the occasion of Martyr’s Day.
Angelique Kerber wins Australian Open 2016 Women's Single Title
- Angelique Kerber upsets Serena Williams 6-4 3-6 6-4 to win the Australian Open title today, ending the six-time champion's unbeaten streak in finals here and winning a major title for the first time.
- Williams was an overwhelming favourite at Melbourne Park, where she had won all six previous times she'd reached the final, and was trying to equal Steffi Graf's Open-era record of 22 Grand Slam singles titles.
- Williams won the Australian Open, French Open and Wimbledon titles last year before losing to Roberta Vinci in the US Open semifinals. She was so close to a calendar-year Grand Slam in 2015, but has no chance to push for that honour after losing the first major of the year.
- The 34-year-old Williams hadn't lost a set in the first six rounds at Melbourne Park until dropping the first on tonight against No. 7-seeded Kerber, who was playing in her first major final.
- Now she's the first German woman to win the title since Graf in 1994.
Japan unveiled first stealth fighter aircraft X-2
- Japan on 28 January 2016 unveiled country’s first stealth fighter aircraft X-2. The domestically-built fighter aircraft seeks to augment defence capabilities of the country that is surrounded by China and Russia that already have radar-evading aircraft technology.
- X-2 is expected to undergo its first test-flight in February 2016.
- It has two engines, similar to the F-22 of the USA, and is 46 feet long by 30 feet wide and 15 feet tall.
- Its stealthy features include a special coating on the canopy that houses the pilot, as well as a carbon-fiber composite material that absorbs radar waves.
Awards & Honors –
Prince Mahidol Award 2015 conferred in Bangkok
- Prince Mahidol Award 2015 was conferred upon Professor Morton Mower and Sir Michael Marmot for outstanding achievements in medicine and public health worldwide.
- The award was presented on 29 January 2016 at the Grand Palace in Bangkok by the Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn on behalf of the King of Thailand Bhumibol Adulyadej, who couldn’t attend the ceremony due to ill health.
- Mower, a citizen of the USA, received the award in the category of medicine for invention of the Automatic Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator. The device helps in monitoring heart rate and rhythm and delivers electrical current when abnormality is detected.
- Marmot, a citizen of the UK, won the award in public health category for his evidence-based evaluation of the role of Social Determinants of Health, a concept that was adopted by the government of the UK and the World Health Organisation (WHO) to eliminate health inequalities.
Former Army Chief Gen K V Krishna Rao passes away
- Former Army Chief General K V Krishna Rao, who played a key role in the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War, died here on Sunday at the military hospital following a cardiac arrest at the age of 92.
- Rao also served as the Governor of Jammu and Kashmir at a time when militancy was at its peak in the state.
- Rao was the 14th Chief of the Army Staff of Indian Army and had an illustrious career spanning over four decades in the force.
- He was commissioned into the Army on August 9, 1942. As a young officer, he had served in Burma, North West Frontier and Baluchistan during the Second World War.
Noted Writer, Educationist Nayani Krishnakumari Dies
- Former Vice Chancellor of Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University, eminent writer and scholar Nayani Krishnakumari has passed away at the age of 86.
- She is survived by her husband, two sons and a daughter.
- A pioneer in folklore studies and women literature, she is credited with identifying the folk literature as a separate and valuable part of Telugu literature, the statement added.
- Krishnakumari had worked as a Professor and Head, Telugu Department, Osmania University. She was awarded Doctorate for her research in folklore from Osamnia University. She was also Principal, Padmavathi Mahila College, Tirupati, and Vice-Chancellor, Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University.
- During her tenure as VC, she published a textbook on folklore titled 'Telugu Janapada Vijnanam: Samaajam, Samskruti, Sahityam', containing articles by several scholars in folklore.