Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs Update of 10th and 11th January, 2016. These are important for the upcoming LIC AAO 2016 and Syndicate Manipal PO Exams.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
RINL inks pact with Andhra Pradesh Govt for Rs. 38,500-cr investment
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd, the Visakhapatnam steel plant, has signed an MoU with the Andhra Pradesh Government for an investment of around Rs. 38,500 crore in various projects.
- According to a press release, the three-day Partnership Summit, which began on Sunday, is being jointly organised by the State Government and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- The State Government and RINL agreed on the importance of infrastructure and industrial development in Andhra Pradesh and welcomed mutual cooperation for facilitating investments in Andhra Pradesh.
- P C Mohapatra, Director (Projects) of RINL, and Kartikeya Misra, Director of Industries, Andhra Pradesh, exchanged the MoU copies for establishing the following projects. The MoU envisages investment of around Rs. 38,500 crore to take up various projects at Visakhapatnam with an employment opportunity for 3,000 persons.
HDFC Life sets up subsidiary at Dubai International Financial Centre
- HDFC Life has set up a wholly-owned subsidiary in the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) called the 'HDFC International Life and Re Company Limited' (HILRCL) with an initial capital outlay of $12.33 million.
- In a statement to the stock exchanges, Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) said that this subsidiary was incorporated on January 10, 2016.
- Further, HILRCL will operate in DIFC, and shall shortly commence its business operations, subject to completion of further regulatory formalities for obtaining the final license from the Dubai Financial Services Authority.
Binny Bansal appointed as new CEO of Flipart, Sachin Bansal as Executive Chairman
- In a top management rejig, e-commerce firm Flipkart on Monday appointed Binny Bansal as the Chief Executive Officer and Sachin Bansal as the Executive Chairman.
- In his role as the Executive Chairman, Sachin will provide strategic direction and mentor the senior leadership as also look for new investment opportunities.
- While, Binny as the CEO will now be responsible for operationally driving the company and be accountable for Flipkart’s overall performance.
- Sachin, who will continue to be the Chairman of the Board, will play an active role in championing the Indian e-commerce sector and building the internet ecosystem and represent the company in external forums.
- Mukesh Bansal will continue to be the head of commerce platform and will have additional responsibility of the ads business. He will also continue as the Chairman of Myntra.
Ashish Saraf appointed as vice-president of Airbus India
- In order to boost its Make in India intitiative, Airbus India has appointed Ashish Saraf as Vice-President - Industry Development, Strategic Partnerships and Offsets.
- Saraf will primarily be responsible for the Group's 'Make in India' initiatives and conceive new ones for all the businesses of Airbus Group India. The move comes close on the heels of Airbus Group uniting its divisions in India under a single company.
- The company has been steadily trying to boost its local sourcing from the country. In an earlier intwerview with Business Standard, Srinivasan Dwarakanath, MD Airbus India, said there has been a 12-fold growth in outsourcing in the past nine years. The group also targeted a cumulative volume worth $2-billion sourcing in the next five years.
Burkina Faso's president named Paul Kaba Thieba as Prime Minister
- Economist Paul Kaba Thieba was named as the Prime Minister of Burkina Faso on 7 January 2016 by the President Roch Marc Christian Kabore.
- The announcement was made a week after the president was sworn in as the country's first new leader in almost three decades following his election in November 2015.
- 56-year-old Thieba has worked for many years with as an economist for the West African central bank, BCEAO, in Ivory Coast. Now, he is charged with forming President Marc Roch Kabore's government as the country continues with a democratic transition after 27 years under leader Blaise Compaore.
DRDO successfully test fired New Tank Ammunition for Arjun MBT
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on 6 January 2016 successfully test fired the new Penetration-Cum Blast (PCB) and Thermobaric (TB) Ammunition tank at Chandipur, Odisha. This wa specially designed for Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT).
- The trials were conducted jointly with Army and were aimed to demonstrate the effectiveness of the ammunitions on derelict tank fitted with instrumentation to measure the shocks, blast pressure and temperature at various locations and on advanced imaging systems.
- The trials were very effective and the damage was devastated with the firing of ammunition successfully destroying the target tank and severely damaging its turret, barrel, tracks, ammunition bin, various sights, antennas etc.
- The trials were unique as for the first time such evaluation was carried out in India which gave a quantum jump in the fire-power of Arjun tanks.
Ansari Dedicates to the Nation Kerala's First Film Institute
- Vice-President Hamid Ansari today dedicated to the nation the K R Narayanan Institute of Visual Sciences and Arts, a first of its kind imitative of the Kerala government at nearby Thekkumithala.
- Speaking on the occasion, Ansari said there was a need to have institutes with international standards to equip future generations of visual and video artists not only with the aesthetic creativity and social awareness, but also with the technical and logistical aspects of film and video making.
- K R Narayanan National Institute of Visual Sciences and Arts was set up by the state government with an objective to impart world-class knowledge and training in visual-based technologies such as cinema, television, and video to Indian artists and technicians.
- The institute offers three-year diploma courses in script writing, direction, acting, cinematography, animation, editing and audiography.
- Governor Justice (Rtd) P Sathasivam and Chief Minister Ooomen Chandy were among those attended the function.
International Kite festival started in Ahmedabad
- Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel on 10 January 2016 inaugurated the 28th edition of International Kite Festival at Sabarmati River front in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- The Kite festival of Gujarat marks Uttarayan, the day when winter begins to turn into summer, according to the Indian calendar.
- The five-day annual event saw participation of about 98 foreign kite flyers from 28 different nations and 55 participants from 8 different states and 28 kite flyers from Gujarat.
President inaugurated 88th Annual Conference of Nikhil Bharat Banga Sahitya Sammelan
- The President Pranab Mukherjee on 10 January 2016 inaugurated the three day long 88th annual conference of Nikhil Bharat Banga Sahitya Sammelan in Ranchi, Jharkhand.
- In this conference, delegates from all over the country attend to hold thematic discussions, meet Bengali authors, novelists, and poets, attend literary sessions, exchange thoughts with scholars of the other languages.
- All participants of the conference would also be encouraged to contribute towards Indian literature continously.
BHEL commissions 520 MW thermal power unit in Andhra Pradesh
- State-run Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) today said it has commissioned a 520-mw coal-based thermal power unit in Andhra Pradesh.
- "The unit has been commissioned at the 2x520 mw Vizag Thermal Power Project of Hinduja National Power Company Limited (HNPCL), Visakhapatnam," the company said in a statement.
Awards & Honors –
73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards announced in California
- The 73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards were announced on 11 January 2015 at Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California, the US. These annual awards honour the best in Motion Pictures and Television for the year 2015.
- The Revenant won the Best Motion Picture – Drama while best Actor and best Director Awards were conferred to Leonardo DiCaprio and Alejandro Inarritu for the same movie. Brie Larson won the best actress award for ‘The Room’ Movie.
Balkrishna Garg conferred with 2015 Harikrishna Devsare Baalsahitya Award
- Veteran hindi poet Balkrishna Garg was on 8 January 2016 conferred with the 2015 Harikrishna Devsare Baalsahitya Award in New Delhi. He received the award for his Baa Geet, which is a collection of poems for children.
- The award was presented by Sahitya Akademi President Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari and National Book Trust (NBT) Chairman Baldeo Bhai Sharma.
- It was the second award to be conferred since its inception in 2014 and consists of a cash prize of 75000 rupees, a shawl and a citation.
Indian-Origin Girl Wins Hindi Literary Award in Singapore
- A nine-year-old Indian-origin girl in Singapore has won the first prize for writing a story in Hindi in a literary competition at the inaugural "Hindi Prerna Awards".
- Saamiya Khan, won the competition in the children group of age 8-12, is taking Hindi as a second language, which is compulsory in Singapore school curriculum for students of north Indian origins.
- The competition was held for three groups, pupils of 8-12-year-old in children group, students of 13-16 in youth group and those above 16 in the higher learning classes in the open group.
- Saamiya, a primary four pupil, says she was inspired by her parents, Mohammed Shariq Khan and Sheba Khan, to learn Hindi and now speaks more confidently on telephone with her grandparents in Mumbai.
- India's High Commissioner Vijay Thakur Singh handed over the prize to Saamiya.
Nepal elected as UNICEF’s executive board member for 2016-2018
- Nepal on 9 January 2016 was elected to the UNICEF executive board, representing the group of Asia-Pacific countries for the term 2016-2018.
- Nepal's Permanent Representative to the United Nations (UN), Durga Prasad Bhattarai, was also unanimously elected vice-president to the Bureau of the Executive Board of the UNICEF for 2016.
- Nepal recently completed its terms as a member of the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) for 2013-2015 and as vice-president from Asia-Pacific region at the executive board of United Nations Development Programme/United Nations Population Fund/United Nations Office for Project Services for the year 2015.
11th World Hindi Day observed on 10 January
- The 11th World Hindi Day was celebrated on 10 January 2016. To mark the occasion, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) through its missions/posts abroad and the Department of Official Language (Rajbhasha) conducted special events to spread the greatness of the language.
- The day was first observed on 10 January 2006. And, it is in addition to the National Hindi Divas that is being celebrated annually on 14 September.
- National Hindi Divas is celebrated to mark the day, 14 September 1949, on which the Constituent Assembly adopted Hindi written in Devanagari script as the Official Language of the Union.
14th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas held in New Delhi
- The 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) was held on 9 January 2016 in New Delhi. The event was inaugurated by the External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and attended by Priti Patel, MoS for Employment, United Kingdom.
- Apart from the main event in New Delhi, the day was celebrated by the MEA, across the world, through its missions/posts abroad.
- On this occasion, Sushma Swaraj announced that the government is considering Aadhaar cards to non-resident Indians (NRIs) and allowing women workers to Gulf countries only through the government agencies to ensure they were not duped by recruiting agents or firms.
Mizoram Celebrated 'Missionary Day' on 11 January
- 'Missionary Day', anniversary of the arrival of two Welsh Christian missionaries, was today observed and celebrated across the Christian-dominated north eastern state of Mizoram.
- Government offices and educational institutions were closed for the day as the state government declared the day as a public holiday.
- The local churches of the Baptist Church of Mizoram held prayer and worship services and also organised community feasts.
- Rev. J.H. Lorrain and Rev.F.W. Savidge had arrived in the then Lushai country (Mizoram) by boat from Assam on January 11, 1894 and spread Christianity which resulted in conversion of almost all the Mizos to the new religion.
Stephen Fleming named coach of Pune IPL team
- Former New Zealand skipper Stephen Fleming was on Monday named chief coach of the new Pune franchise of the Indian Premier League Twenty20 cricket tournament.
- With this the former Chennai Super Kings coach will renew his long and most successful partnership with his former captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni who was picked in the December draft.
Stanislas Wawrinka won third consecutive Chennai Open title
- Stanislas Wawrinka on 10 January 2016 won his Chennai Open title. In the summit clash at the Nungambakkam tennis stadium of Chennai, he defeated Croatian Borna Coric 6-3, 7-5.
- This is the fourth Chennai Open title for the Swiss player and the third consecutive win, who first won it in 2011.
- With this win, Wawrinka lifted the cup and got the award money of 75700 US dollars and got away with 250 ATP ranking points.
Milos Raonic won 2016 Brisbane International Tennis men’s singles trophy
- Milos Raonic of Canada on 10 December 2015 won the 2016 Brisbane International Tennis men’s singles trophy.
- To win the title, the 14th world ranking player defeated Roger Federer of Switzerland 6-4 6-4 in the final match held at Brisbane in Australia. At present, Roger Federer is at the third position in the world singles ranking.
- For Raonic, it was the 8th World ATP tour title in his career and the first title in the 2016 season.
Winners in other categories
- Women’s Singles: Victoria Azarenka (Belarus)
- Men’s Doubles: Henri Kontinen (Finland) & John Peers (Australia)
- Women’s Doubles: Sania Mirza (India) & Martina Hingis (Switzerland)
Rene Holten Poulsen named Denmark's sportsperson of 2015
- Danish kayaker Rene Holten Poulsen on 9 January 2016 was named the Denmark’s sportsperson of the year 2015.
- The Sports Confederation of Denmark and Danish Jyllands-Posten newspaper voted to award Poulsen the prize, which is known as Sports Name of the Year and is among the country's top sports prizes.
ICC announces MoneyGram as Event Partner
- The ICC and MoneyGram International, a leading global provider of money transfer services, on Monday announced an eight-year deal which confirms MoneyGram as an event partner for ICC events from 2016-2023.
- A media release by ICC stated: “The ICC and MoneyGram recently completed a successful five-year partnership, which began with the ICC World Twenty20 West Indies 2010, concluding with the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015.
Books & Authors –
Book titled MARU BHARAT SARU BHARAT authoured by Jain Acharya Maharaj released
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 10 January 2016 released a book titled “MARU BHARAT SARU BHARAT “(My India Noble India) written by Jain Acharya Ratnasundersuriswarji Maharaj.
- This is the 300th book of Ratnasundersuriswarji Maharaj. The book release function was organized by Sahitya Satkar Samiti of Ratnatrayee Trust in Mumbai.
- The book, My India, Nobel India, will be available in four languages - English, Hindi, Gujarati and Marathi.
Maria Teresa de Filippis, first female Formula One driver, died
- Maria Teresa de Filippis, the first woman to compete in a world championship Formula One grand prix, passed away on 8 January 2016 in Italy. She was 89.
- De Filippis participated in five World Championship Grands Prix; however, she scored no championship points. Although she remained largely unsuccessful in her Formula One racing career, she is remembered as a pioneer in motor racing, a sport dominated by men.
Noted Hindi writer Ravindra Kalia passed away
- Noted Hindi writer and journalist Ravindra Kalia passed away on 9 January 2016 in New Delhi. He was 78.
- Kalia had been suffering from liver cirrhosis.
- The writer is known for his works like Nau Saal Chotti Patni and Ghalib Chutti Sharab.
- The former Bharatiya Jnanpith director, Kalia was also the editor of several literary magazines, including Naya Gyanodaya.