Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for IBPS Clerk V Mains.
Directions (Q. 1–5): Rearrange the following seven sentences A, B, C, D, E, F and G in the proper sequence so as to make a meaningful paragraph; then answer the questions given below them.
(A) The individual owes allegiance and obedience to the state.
(B) It is its organ for the present action, the custodian of its tradition.
(C) For, the nation is not only a fellowship of contemporaries.
(D) The state exists for the citizens, not the citizens for the state.
(E) But it is a partnership of present with past and future.
(F) It is also the trustee for its future.
(G) This is mainly because it is the representative and effective organ of the largest and most inclusive community to which he belongs.
1. Which sentence should be the FOURTH in the paragraph?
2. Which sentence should be the SIXTH in the paragraph?
3. Which sentence should be the FIRST in the paragraph?
4. Which sentence should be the SEVENTH (LAST) in the paragraph?
5. Which sentence should be the SECOND in the paragraph?
Directions (Q. 6–10): In each of the following sentences there are two blank spaces. Below each sentence there are five pairs of words denoted by numbers (1), (2), (3), (4) and (5). Find out which pair of words can be filled up in the blanks in the sentence in the same sequence to make the sentence meaningfully complete.
6. How people would ______ in a particular situation cannot be ______ with perfect accuracy.
1) think, observed
2) act, expected
3) behave, predicted
4) react, analyzed
5) feel, resolved
7. When the mob turned ______, the police opened fire to control the ______ situation.
1) away, burning
2) up, untoward
3) around, devastating
4) quietly, aggravate
5) hostile, rioting
8. The Government ______ down the opposition ______ for a joint parliamentary committee probe.
1) boiled, proposal
2) shot, demand
3) put, leaders
4) whipped, portfolio
5) struck, party
9. The handwriting on the letter was very ______, none could ______ it.
1) legible, write
2) illegible, read
3) original, recognize
4) faint, notice
5) shabby, identify
10. The delay in completing the task ______ can be attributed to their ______
1) expeditiously, lethargy
2) fully, punctuality
3) economically, rigidity
4) religiously, strictness
5) carefully, perfectionism