Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here is the 27th set of Daily Word List.
1. Abruptly: suddenly; without notice.
Example: Without warning, my boss abruptly fired me.
2. Catharsis: the process of releasing strong emotions and feelings.
Example: Crying is a great catharsis for releasing pain and anger.
3. Wretched: incredibly miserable.
Example: The migraine made Cathy feel wretched.
4. Serene: calm; peaceful.
Example: The quiet beach made a serene setting for the midnight wedding.
5. Xenophobia: a dread or dislike of anything or anyone foreign, especially people from other cultures and races.
Example: The dog’s xenophobia causes him to bark at everyone he does not know.
6. Redress: to make something right or the payment for a wrong.
Example: If Jim is not paid the money he is owed, he will go to court to seek redress.
7. Elegiac: communicating mourning or sorrow
Example: The elegiac poem brought everyone to tears during the funeral.
8. Travesty: a false or distorted representation of something, usually of something serious.
Example: It would be a travesty of justice to put an innocent man in jail.
9. Repose: a state of rest, sleep, or tranquility.
Example: Not wishing to disturb whatever might be lying in repose, the troop tiptoed past the cave.
10. Venial: capable of being excused.
Example: Because the principal felt the boys had committed a venial offense, he only gave them a light punishment.