Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for IBPS PO Mains 2015.
Direction 1-5: Rearrange the following six sentences (A),(B), (C), (D), (E) and (F) in the proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph; then answer the questions given below them.
(A) Its prevalence reflects very badly on a society that is not able to stop this evil.
(B) Though elimination of child labour is an impossible task considering the current socio-economic scenario of these poor families, the Indian government is committed to the task of ensuring that no child remains illiterate, hungry and without medical care.
(C) Therefore, unless the socio-economic status of the poor families is improved, India has to live with child labour.
(D) The members of these households have to send their children to work, even if the future of these innocent children is ruined, as that is the only choice open for them to survive in this world.
(E) Child labour is, no doubt, an evil that should be done away with at the earliest.
(F) But in a society where many households may have to suffer the pangs of hunger if the children are withdrawn from work, beggars can’t be choosers.
1. Which of the following should be the FIRST sentence after rearrangement ?
1) A 2) E 3) C 4) F 5) D
2. Which of the following should be the THIRD sentence after rearrangement ?
1) B 2) A 3) C 4) F 5) E
3. Which of the following should be the SECOND sentence after rearrangement ?
1) A 2) F 3) D 4) B 5) C
4. Which of the following should be the FIFTH sentence after rearrangement ?
1) E 2) A 3) F 4) C 5) D
5. Which of the following should be the SIXTH (LAST) sentence after rearrangement ?
1) A 2) C 3) E 4) D 5) B
Direction 6-10: Each question below has two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank which best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
6. The water transport project on the west coast is________ to get a shot in the arm with a new plan in which the Road Development Corporation will build the’ infrastructure and _________ a private party to operate the service.
1) scheduled -let
2) verge – permit
3) set - sanctions
4) slated.- allow
5) bound - task
7. As the weekend finally rolled around the city folk were only _____ happy to settle down and laugh their cares ____.
1) just -afar
2) too – away
3) extremely - off
4) very - up
5) so -on
8. The flood of brilliant ideas has not only ______ us, but has also encouraged us to ______ the last date for submission of entries.
1) overwhelmed - extend
2) enjoyed – stretch
3) dismayed,- decide
4) scared scrap
5) happy - boundary
9. ______ about prolonged power cuts in urban areas, the authorities have decided to _______ over to the more reliable and eco-friendly systems to run its pumps.
1) Worried -.shift
2) Frantic – move
3) Troubled - jump
4) Concerned -.switch
5) Endangered , click
10. The high cutoff marks this year have _______ college admission-seekers to either _________ for lesser known colleges or change their subject preferences.
1) cajoled - ask
2) pressured. – sit
3) forced - settle
4) strained - compromise
5) entrusted – wait