Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for IBPS PO Mains. This set is to test your speed.
Directions (Q. 1-5): Each question below has two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Find out which option can be used to fill up the blank in the sentence in the same sequence to make it meaningfully complete.
1. The water transport project on the west coast is _____ to get a shot in the arm with a new plan in which the Road Development Corporation will build the infrastructure and _____ a private party to operate the service.
1) scheduled, let
2) verge, permit
3) set, sanctions
4) slated, allow
5) bound, task
2. As the weekend finally rolled around, the city folk were only _____ happy to settle down and laugh their cares _____.
1) just, afar
2) too, away
3) extremely, off
4) very, up
5) so, on
3. The flood of brilliant ideas has not only _____ us, but has also encouraged us to _____ the last date for submission of entries.
1) overwhelmed, extend
2) enjoyed, stretch
3) dismayed, decide
4) scared, scrap
5) happy, boundary
4. _____ about prolonged power cuts in urban areas, the authorities have decided to _____ over to more reliable and eco-friendly systems to run its pumps.
1) Worried, shift
2) Frantic, move
3) Troubled, jump
4) Concerned, switch
5) Endangered, click
5. The high cut off marks this year have _____ college admission-seekers to either _____ for lesser known colleges or change their subject preferences.
1) cajoled, ask
2) pressured, sit
3) forced, settle
4) strained, compromise
5) entrusted, wait
Directions (Q. 6-10): Rearrange the following seven sentences (A), (B), (C), (D), (E) and (F) in the proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph and then answer the questions given below.
(A) Thus rapid development is still unable to meet demand.
(B) Surplus funds from hikes in passenger fares and cuts in staff have made this possible.
(C) This demonstrates that it has been transformed into a modern high standard design and high service reliable system.
(D) However China’s railways are not problem free.
(E) China’s railways have been able to generate the funds needed for the construction of new railway lines internally.
(F) For example at present about 280000 cars are requested daily to transport goods but only half the requests can be met.
6. Which of the following is the FIFTH sentence after rearrangement?
7. Which of the following is the SIXTH (LAST) sentence after rearrangement?
8. Which of the following is the SECOND sentence after rearrangement?
9. Which of the following is the THIRD sentence after rearrangement?
10. Which of the following is the FIRST sentence after rearrangement?