Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs Update of 2nd and 3rd October, 2015. These are Important for the upcoming IBPS PO V Mains Exam.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
PM Modi Inaugurates Solar-Powered Court In Jharkhand
- Making an appeal to stop wastage of electricity, the Prime Minister said that like solar energy, we also need to focus on energy conservation.
- He also said that we can not use up all our resources, we must think about the future.
- Stressing on the need for renewal energy in the country, the Prime Minister said India is moving from Megawatt to Gigawatt.
- He added that India will be successful in achieving the target of 175 Gigawatt of clean energy by 2022.
- PM Modi also made an appeal to use LED bulbs to save energy as well as control the household budget.
- On the occasion, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that problem of Climate change is a serious concern and India is not at all responsible for the danger.
- He added that India is ready to contribute for future generations.
INS Sahyadri in Vietnam on a four-day visit
- As part of India’s Look East and Act East Policy, Indian Navy’s indigenously built multi-role stealth frigate INS Sahyadri entered Da Nang in Vietnam on Friday on a four-day visit.
- The Shivalik Class warship as part of its operational deployment to South China sea and the North West Pacific region is visiting Vietnam with a view to strengthening bilateral ties and enhancing inter-operability between navies of the two countries.
- Indian warships had last visited Hai Phong, Vietnam, in August, 2014. During her stay in harbour, various activities aimed at enhancing cooperation and interaction between the two navies are planned.
- These include official calls and interaction with dignitaries of the Vietnamese government and the Vietnamese Peoples’ Navy (VPN), reception onboard INS Sahyadri, onboard visits by local populace, guided tours for Indian naval personnel and professional interaction between personnel of both the navies, according to a statement issued by the Indian Navy.
- INS Sahyadri, inducted into the Indian Navy on 21 July 12, is a multi-role stealth frigate. It boasts of an impressive array of weaponry in her arsenal. Long range anti-ship missiles, medium and short range surface to air missiles augmented by powerful guns of different calibres provide a formidable shield against all types of surface and air threats.
- The capability to carry two integral multi-role helicopters significantly enhances the potency of this ship. INS Sahyadri is presently being commanded by Captain Kunal Raj Kumar.
Dabur India to adopt 5 UP villages to support ‘Swachh Bharat’ campaign
- Coinciding with the first anniversary of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Swachh Bharat’ initiative, homegrown FMCG major Dabur India today said it will adopt five villages in Uttar Pradesh and make them ’Open—Defecation Free’ within the current fiscal.
- The five villages to be adopted by Dabur India are Nandpur, Nagla Gajju, Naraina, Nidhawali and Domatikri.
- Under the programme, the company will ensure that all households in these five villages have toilets. Besides, the 20—odd schools in these villages would get separate toilet blocks for boys and girls, Dabur India said in a statement.
- The company further said that it has also identified five other villages in Uttar Pradesh, six in Uttarakhand and two in Himachal Pradesh for construction of household toilets.
- Last year, the company had announced plans to construct nearly 1,000 household toilets as part of the Swachh Bharat mission.
- Dabur India said it has already constructed close to 600 toilets under this initiative.
- The company has also decided to financially support the poor households in construction of toilets in their homes.
Dr Anup K Pujari assumed additional charge as CMD of Steel Authority of India Limited
- Dr Anup K Pujari on 1 October 2015 assumed additional charge as the Chairman and Managing Director of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL).
- At present, he is the Secretary, Government of India, Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME).
- Besides as the CMD of SAIL, he was also given additional charge of the post of Secretary in Ministry of Steel.
S Mookerjee is new Financial Commissioner of Railways
- S Mookerjee has taken over as the new Financial Commissioner — Railways and ex-officio Secretary to the Government of India, said a release. He succeeds Rajalakshmi Ravi Kumar who retired on attaining superannuation on Wednesday.
- Prior to this, Mookerjee was Director General, National Academy of Indian Railways (NAIR), Vadodara.
- An officer of Indian Railway Accounts Service of 1978 batch, Mookerjee has worked on various higher and middle-level management posts in Railways.
- His core competence is information technology and computer applications, financial management and policy.
Shashank Manohar to be elected unopposed as BCCI president
- Lawyer-turned-administrator Shashank Manohar is all set to be elected unopposed as BCCI President tomorrow, bringing in a new era in the cricket body that was not long ago hit hard by the IPL scandal which saw the end of strongman N Srinivasan’s clout.
- Manohar will take over the post at the Board’s Special General meeting here tomorrow as he was the only candidate left in the fray for the election whose deadline for nomination ended today.
- The election was necessitated by the sudden demise of Jagmohan Dalmiya who had a short term of seven months after his election in March this year. Earlier he was made the interim President when Srinivasan “stepped aside” in the wake of revelations that his son-in-law was involved in betting during the 2013 IPL season.
- All the six units of East Zone unanimously proposed Manohar’s candidature for the president’s post, reflecting former chief N Srinivasan’s diminishing hold in Board’s power politics.
- With BCCI’s Special General Meeting scheduled tomorrow, Manohar’s anointment to the hot seat is just a mere formality after the scrutiny of the nomination forms showed that all the six East Zone units have separately signed as proposers.
Sania—Hingis pair clinches Wuhan Open WTA title
- Ace Indian tennis star Sania Mirza continued her superb run with Swiss partner Martina Hingis as the duo clinched its seventh title together by winning the Wuhan Open women’s doubles trophy here today.
- The top—seeded pair eased past the Romanian team of Irina—Camelia Begu and Monica Niculescu 6—2, 6—3 in the title clash.
- Sania and Hingis had it relatively easy in the second round, quarterfinals and semi—finals after getting a first round bye in the tournament.
- Sania and Hingis dropped serve three times and fought back from a 2—0 deficit in the second set to emerge triumphant in the summit clash today.
- With today’s win, the Indo—Swiss pairing has seven WTA doubles titles together this year —— Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Wimbledon, the US Open, Guangzhou and Wuhan.
- They have won their last three tournaments and their last 13 matches without dropping a single set.
International Day of Non-Violence observed across the world
The International Day of Non-Violence was observed on 2 October 2015 across the world. It was celebrated to mark the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, a pioneer of the philosophy and strategy of non-violence.
On this occasion, governmental and nongovernmental organizations conducted awareness activities and special talks on the significance of Non-violence as a political as well as a social practice.
The International Day of Non-Violence was created by the United Nations by a resolution of the General Assembly on 15 June 2007.
The resolution was aimed at reaffirming the universal relevance of the principle of non-violence and the desire to secure a culture of peace, tolerance, understanding and non-violence.
Microsoft acquires Irish 3D physics provider Havok from Intel
- Redmond-based technology major Microsoft on Saturday said that it has acquired Irish video game engine and 3D physics provider Havok from American chip-maker Intel.
- Havok, whose business model involves licensing its physics technology to developers, was founded in 1998 in Dublin, before being purchased by Intel in 2007 to accelerate its play in the gaming market.
- Havok has previously partnered with Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft and many others to create more than 600 games including Halo, Assassin’s Creed, Call of Duty, Destiny, Dark Souls and The Elder Scrolls.
- It also contributed in developing special effects in movies like “The Matrix” and “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”.