Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for Bank Exams 2015.
Directions (Q. 1 - 10): In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each, five words/ phrases are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word/ phrase in each case and mark your answer.
The habit of ____ (1) is one of the ____ (2) resources of mankind and we enjoy reading books that belong to us much more ____ (3) if they are borrowed. A borrowed book is like a ____ (4) in the house; it must be treated with punctiliousness, with a certain considerate formality. You must see that it sustains no damage; it must not suffer while under ____ (5) roof. You cannot leave it carelessly, you cannot mark it, you cannot ____ (6) the pages, mark it, you cannot use it familiarly and then some day though it is ____ (7) done, you ought to return it. But your books belong to you; you treat them with that affectionate ____ (28) that annihilates formality. Books are for use not for ____ (9). You should own no book that you are afraid to mark up, or afraid to place on the table, wide open and ace down. A good reason for marking favourite passages in books is that this practice ____ (10) you to remember more easily the significant sayings, to refer to them quickly, and then in later years, it is like visiting a forest where you once blazed a trial.
1. (a) reading (b) playing (c) singing (d) travelling (e) riding
2. (a) great (b) greet (c) grating (d) greatest (e) grant
3. (a) then (b) to (c) than (d) from (e) with
4. (a) host (b) ghost (c) friend (d) foe (e) guest
5. (a) you (b) your (c) your’s (d) whom (e) whose
6. (a) turn in (b) turn at (c) turn down (d) turn upon (e) turn up
7. (a) often (b) frequent (c) seldom (d) ever (e) rare
8. (a) intimacy (b) close (c) relation (d) confident (e) security
9. (a) exhibit (b) store (c) disusing (d) show (e) familiar
10. (a) enables (b) ensure (c) guarantee (d) promise (e) make