Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for Bank Exams 2015.
Directions (Q. 1-5): Rearrange the following six sentences (A), (B), (C), (D), (E) and (F) in a proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph and then answer the questions given below.
A) Tsunamis generally consist of a series of waves with periods ranging from minutes to hours, arriving in a so-called "wave train".
B) Wave heights of tens of meters can be generated by large events.
C) Rather than appearing as a breaking wave, a tsunami may instead initially resemble a rapidly rising tide, and for this reason they are often referred to as tidal waves.
D) A Tsunami is a series of waves in a water body caused by the displacement of a large volume of water, generally in an ocean or a large lake.
E) Although the impact of tsunamis is limited to coastal areas, their destructive power can be enormous and they can affect entire ocean basins.
F) Tsunami waves do not resemble normal sea waves, because their wavelength is far longer.
1. What is the LAST sentence after rearrangement?
(a) C (b) B (c) D (d) E (e) F
2. What is the FIFTH sentence after rearrangement?
(a) A (b) B (c) D (d) F (e) C
3. What is the THIRD sentence after rearrangement?
(a) A (b) C (c) B (d) E (e) F
4. What is the FIRST sentence after rearrangement?
(a) B (b) C (c) D (d) E (e) F
5. What is the FOURTH sentence after rearrangement?
(a) A (b) B (c) D (d) E (e) F
Directions (Q. 6 - 10): Each question below has a blank/ two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the word/set of words from the five options for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
6. Japan’s abundant rainfall and the ___ mild temperature throughout most of the country have produced a _____vegetation cover.
(a) Typically, lush
(b) Prominence, dry
(c) Importantly, scarce
(d) Average, green
(e) General, prominent
7. Nobody knows ____ how many languages there are in the world, partly because of the difficulty in distinguishing between a language and the sub-languages or dialects ____ it.
(a) Exclusively, from
(b) Extend, among
(c) Exactly, within
(d) Extensively, Between
(e) Precisely, with
8. The ______ of natural gas from Norway’s Troil gas ________ is expected to increase annually.
(a) Yield, field
(b) Production, depot
(c) Manufacture, ground
(d) Assemble, bunk
(e) Making, drivel
9. The results of the company’s cost-cutting ______ are evident in its profits.
10. With cloning technology, scientists _______ what has long been the ultimate _____ of modern husbandry.
(a) are approaching, goal
(b) were approaching, aim
(c) had approached, target
(d) is approaching, mark
(e) was approaching, set