Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for Bank Exams 2015.
Directions (Q. No. 1-6): Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it. Certain words have been printed in bold to help you locate them while answering some of the questions.
It is easy for the government to control state owned companies through nods and winks. So, what really needs to be done as a first step is to put petrol pricing on a transparent formula. If the price of crude is x and the exchange rate y, than every month or fortnight, the government announces a maximum price of petrol, which anybody can work out from the x and the y. The rule has to be worked out to make sure that the oil marketing companies can, in general, cover their costs. This will mean that if one company can innovate and cut costs, it will make greater profits. Hence, firms will be more prone to innovate and will be more efficient under this system. Once the rule is announced there should be no interference by the government. If, this is done for a while, private companies will reenter this market. And once a sufficient number of them are in fray, we can remove the rule based pricing and leave it truly to the market.
1. According to the passage an oil company can make greater profits, if a transparent pricing for petrol pricing is announced every fortnight or month, by
I. Promoting its sales
II. Undertaking innovation
III. Cutting costs
IV. Selling its equity shares at higher prices
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) I only
(b) II & III
(c) III & IV
(d) I, II, & IV
(e) III only
2. According to the passage, private oil companies reenter the market if
I. A transparent rule based petrol pricing exists
II. There is no government interference in the oil producing market
III. Subsidies are given by the government
IV. Regulations of anti-trust are removed
Which of the statements given above are correct?
(a) I & II
(b) II & III
(c) III & IV
(d) II & IV
(e) I & III
3. The synonym of transparent is
4. The synonym of fray is
5. The synonym of interference is
6. The antonym of maximum is
Directions (Q. No. 7-10): Choose the word which is wrongly spelt from the five options given.
7. (a) servitude (b) debenture (c) promiscous (d) reminiscence (e) juvenile
8. (a) comitment (b) session (c) garage (d) gargle (e) phlegm
9. (a) rendevous (b) bourgeois (c) repertoire (d) memoir (e) aficionado
10. (a) avalanche (b) bouqet (c) boutique (d) chameleon (e) veracity
Directions (Q. 11-15): Rearrange the following six sentences (A), (B), (C), (D), (E) and (F) in a proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph and then answer the questions given below
A) I was the seventh child in a family of four pairs of brothers and sisters.
B) Today perhaps your only association with the word ‘polio’ is the Sabin Oral Vaccine that protects children from the disease.
C) I was also considered to be the healthiest of the brood.
D) If somebody had predicted, when I was born that this would happen to me, no one would have believed it.
E) The dreaded disease, which mainly affects the brain and the spinal cord, causes stiffening and weakening of the muscles, crippling and paralysis – which is why I am in a wheelchair today.
F) Fifty five years ago, this was not so.
11. What is the FIRST sentence after rearrangement?
12. What is the THIRD sentence after rearrangement?
13. What is the FOURTH sentence after rearrangement?
14. What is the FIFTH sentence after rearrangement?
15. What is the SECOND sentence after rearrangement?