Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 21st September, 2015. These are Important for the upcoming IBPS PO V Mains Exam.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
Election Commission releases NOTA symbol for all polls
- The Election Commission (EC) has introduced a symbol for "None of the Above (NOTA)" option to facilitate voters in exercising their NOTA option in elections, it was announced on Friday.
- "This symbol will now appear in the last panel on all EVMs and the other ballot papers against the NOTA option at all elections to be held from now onwards," an official statement said on Friday, adding necessary instructions have been issued to all the chief electoral officers.
- The NOTA option was made available to the voters with effect from 11 October, 2013, pursuant to the Supreme Court order of 27 September, 2013.
- "The main objective of the NOTA option is to enable electors, who do not wish to vote for any of the candidates, to exercise their right without violation of the secrecy of their decision," it added.
- The symbol for NOTA option was designed by the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.
Jammu and Kashmir government banned sale of Ambuja cement in state
- The Jammu and Kashmir Government on 19 September 2015 banned the sale of Ambuja Cements in the state. There were complaints of malpractices against the company. The initial enquiry found that the company sold cement bags at two different MRP rates in the region.
- It was unveiled that the company sold a cement bag in Kashmir for 346.65 rupees per bag and in Jammu at 437.69 rupees. The bags were also underweight by 400 to 600 grams per bag.
- Legal Metrology Department was directed to ensure the ban on sale and stock of Ambuja cement.
India, UN ESCAP Tie-Up to Boost Disaster Warning Systems
- India today signed a USD one million partnership with a UN body to support disaster risk management in the Asia-Pacific region, with a key focus on strengthening early warning systems for coastal hazards like tsunamis, flooding, storm surges and tropical cyclones.
- India's contribution to the UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific's Multi-Donor Trust Fund for Tsunami, Disaster and Climate Preparedness in Indian Ocean and Southeast Asian Countries will help ensure that vulnerable communities receive the timely warning information required to save lives and livelihoods in disasters.
- United Nations Under-Secretary-General and Executive Secretary for Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) Dr Shamshad Akhtar highlighted India's ongoing commitment to supporting disaster risk management in Asia and the Pacific.
- The contribution to the Trust Fund is part of a series of steps taken by India to support regional early warning systems.
- India is a regional service provider for the Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning and Mitigation System (IOTWS) and an active member of the ESCAP/World Meteorological Organisation Panel on Tropical Cyclones.
Awards & Honors –
Urdu scholar Shamim Hanfi awarded with Jnangarima Manad Alankaran award
- Renowned Urdu scholar Shamim Hanfi was on 20 September 2015 honoured with the Jnangarima Manad Alankaran by Bharatiya Jnanpith in New Delhi.
- The award was declared at the annual Kavita Samay, an evening of poetry recitation by authors in Hindi and Urdu.
- The scholar is best known for his books on criticism like, Ghazal Ka Naya Manzarnama, Jadidiyat ki Falsafiyani Asas and Infiradi Shaoor aur Ijtemai Zindagi.
Sania Mirza & Ajinkya Rahane conferred with Cricket Club of India’s honorary life membership
- India's ace tennis player Sania Mirza and cricketer Ajinkya Rahane were in the third week of September 2015 conferred with honorary life membership of Cricket Club of India (CCI).
- As the members of the club, the recipients will be allowed to use its facilities along with one’s spouse.
- The membership of CCI is a prestigious ownership which is awarded regularly to sportsmen and eminent persons as recognition of their contribution to their respective fields.
Viola Davis becomes first African-American to win best actress Emmy
- Viola Davis made history by becoming the first African-American to win the leading actress in a drama category at Emmy for her role of a defense lawyer in How to Get Away with Murder and hoped that her award will help create more opportunities for people of colour.
- In an impassioned speech, 50-year-old Davis quoted humanitarian Harriet Tubman and paid tribute to other African-American actresses, like Halle Berry, Kerry Washington and Gabrielle Union.
- Davis has already won a SAG Award for her performance as a tough, damaged lawyer and law school professor Annalise Keating on the Shonda Rhimes show, besides being nominated for a Golden Globe.
- The Oscar-nominated actress, who looked overwhelmed when her name was announced, took the opportunity to make a statement about racial inequality in Hollywood and to thank the people, who helped get her into a leading role.
P Siva Kumar, CVRDE Director, elevated as Distinguished Scientist
- P Sivakumar, Director of CVRDE, was on 19 September 2015 elevated as a Distinguished Scientist or Scientist H by the Union Ministry of Defense. It is the highest honour conferred on a scientist in India.
- CVRDE stands for Combat Vehicles Research and Development Establishment. It is located at Avadi in Tamil Nadu.
- Sivakumar’s elevation was in recognition of his dedication and diligence in self-reliance effort for defence combat vehicle systems and sub-systems.
Sherif Ismail sworn in as Prime Minister of Egypt
- Sherif Ismail on 19 September 2015 was sworn in as the Prime Minister of Egypt by the President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi.
- Ismail is expected to be in office till the new government will take charge after the December 2015 elections to the Parliament.
- This is the seventh national government in the country since the 2011 uprising that toppled the autocratic Hosni Mubarak.
- Ismail succeeded Ibrahim Mahlab who resigned in the second week of September 2015 amid a corruption probe.
International Day of Peace observed globally
- The International Day of Peace was observed on 21 September 2015 across the world to recognise the efforts of those who have worked hard to end conflict and promote peace. The International Day of Peace is also a day of ceasefire.
- The theme of International Day of Peace for the year 2015 is Partnerships for Peace- Dignity for All.
- The International Day of Peace is observed around the world on 21 September every year. The United Nations General Assembly has devoted this day to strengthen the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples.
- On this day, the United Nations invites all nations and people to honour a cessation of hostilities and commemorates the Day through education and public awareness on issues related to peace.
Ajay Jayaram won Silver Medal in 2015 Korea Open Badminton tournament
- India’s badminton player Ajay Jayram on 20 September 2015 won silver medal in 2015 Korea Open Badminton tournament in Men’s singles category.
- In the final match played in Seoul, Jayram lost to World No. 1 Chen Long of China by 14-21, 12-21.
- With this win, Jayaram became the first Indian badminton player who grabbed a medal in Korea Open Badminton tournament.
- At present, Jayram is ranked 32nd in the Men's Singles world ranking.
Mariko Kipchumba of Kenya won 2015 Beijing International Marathon
- Mariko Kipchumba of Kenya on 20 September 2015 won the annual Beijing International Marathon. He finished the 42.195-km course in 2 hours 14 minutes and 25 seconds.
- In women’s competition, Ethiopian runner Betelhem Cherenet won the title in 2 hours 27 minutes and 31 seconds.
- With the present win, forty-one-year-old Kipchumba became the first non-Ethiopian athlete to win the event since 2011. Francis Kiprop won the 2011 event.
Daily Expected Questions on Stock GK
Tilak Maidan Stadium is located in which city/state?
- Vasco da Gama, Goa
Who is the chief minister of Nagaland?
- T. R. Zeliang
Eagle's Nest Wildlife Sanctuary is located in which state?
- Arunachal Pradesh
Quito is the capital city of which country?
"Where every individual is committed" is the slogan of which of the following bank?
- Oriental Bank of Commerce