Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 15th September, 2015. These are Important for the upcoming IBPS PO V Exam.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
RBI, Nepal Rastra Bank ink pact for supervisory information exchange
- Reserve Bank today inked an agreement with Nepal Rastra Bank on exchange of supervisory information.
- The Reserve Bank of India, today, signed the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on 'Supervisory Cooperation and Exchange of Supervisory Information' with the Nepal Rastra Bank(NRB), RBI said in a statement.
- The MoU was signed by Nepal Rastra Bank's Executive Director Narayan Prasad Paudel and RBI's Executive Director Meena Hemchandra at the central office of Reserve Bank here.
- RBI has entered into Memorandam of Understanding, Letter for Supervisory Co-operation and Statement of Co-operation with supervisors of a few countries to promote greater co-operation and share supervisory information, the statement further said.
SBI Card Launches SimplyCLICK
- SBI Card, one of India's leading credit card issuers, today announced a strategic partnership with 7 of India's biggest e-commerce players for its newest offering, the SimplyCLICK SBI Card.
- The collaboration is with the leading players in the e-commerce industry - Amazon India, BookMyShow, Cleartrip, FabFurnish, Food Panda, LensKart and Ola Cabs - all front runners in their respective categories.
- This latest offering from SBI Card is a tailor made credit card for the generation that is always online and comes with many features to ensure the best and most productive online shopping experience for the consumers.
- The SimplyCLICK SBI Card is the country's 1st ever credit card that focuses on online shopping across diverse categories.
- The e-commerce sector in India is growing at an exponential pace as more and more Indians are experiencing online shopping owing to ecosystem enablers such as the ease of shopping, availability of multiple payment options and deals offered by e-commerce players. With this new product, SBI Card is poised to leverage the popularity of online shopping and e-commerce in India.
Snapdeal and FreeCharge launch new mobile wallet
- When ecommerce marketplace Snapdeal acquired mobile top-up site c in April – the biggest acquisition in India to date – the promise was to build a digital commerce ecosystem. An important piece of that jigsaw fell into place today with the launch of a new mobile wallet by Snapdeal and FreeCharge jointly.
- FreeCharge has partnered with Yes Bank and payment bank licensee Fino PayTech to launch the service, which will go live in a few weeks. The company claims that its wallet is able to reduce checkout times to under 10 seconds.
- FreeCharge has been doing hundreds of thousands of mobile top-up transactions a day, mostly with credit or debit cards.
- Snapdeal also has tens of millions of mobile buyers active on its app. Between them, they have 87 million registered users, who will get app upgrades to be able to use the new wallet without any need for additional downloads.
Suvidhaa acquires mobile PoS platform AasaanPay
- Suvidhaa Infoserve, India's largest payment management company, announced that it had acquired a mobile point of sale device, along with its intellectual property rights, on Tuesday.
- AasaanPay, developed by IIT-Hyderabad dropouts: Sainath Gupta, Pruthvi Sabbu and Shashank Sahni, is a device that can be plugged into a mobile phone, which can then be used for credit or debit card transactions.
- Suvidhaa, Axis Bank's banking correspondent, will now be able to use this technology to facilitate transactions without a bulky expensive machine and unreliable internet networks.
- RBI recently enhanced the cash at PoS transaction limit to Rs 2,000 for rural areas. Suvidhaa received angel funding by Shapoorji Pallonji Mistry and subsequently VC funding from NVP (USA), Reliance Capital, IFC (World Bank Group) and Mitsui & Co.
Report titled Assessment of State Implementation of Business Reforms released
- A report titled Assessment of State Implementation of Business Reforms was released on 14 September 2015.
- The report captures the findings of an assessment conducted jointly by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), the World Bank Group and KPMG as the knowledge partner, the Confederation of Indian Industry and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry.
- The assessment, the first of its kind, was conducted to take stock of reforms implemented by states in the period January to June 2015 based on the 98-point action plan for business reforms agreed between DIPP and State and Union Territory governments in December 2014.
- Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and Rajasthan have implemented over 50 percent of the 98 point action plan business reforms studied in the assessment.
- Gujarat took the top position in a list that ranked states on the ease of doing business.
- Karnataka, Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh are also among the top 10 states in the assessment.
- No state has implemented 75 per cent or more of the proposed reforms.
- Punjab leads in the area of Setting up a Business, as it features an online single window system for registrations and licenses that cover most of the regulatory services in the country. Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh have also made significant progress in this area.
India-Maldives joint military training Exercise EKUVERIN 2015 held in Kerala
- India-Maldives joint military training Exercise EKUVERIN 2015 was held at the Pangode Military Station in Trivandrum, Kerala. It was held for fifteen days between 31 Aug and 13 Sep 2015.
- The exercise saw the participation of the Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Forces.
- In total 90 soldiers took part in it, 45 each.
- It was the sixth edition of the bilateral annual exercise started in 2009 in Belgaum, Karnataka.
- Exercise EKUVERIN is alternatively held in India and Maldives with the aim of enhancing military cooperation and interoperability between the two countries and increased understanding between both armies.
Union Government formed Mihir Shah Committee on restructuring water agencies
- The Union Ministry of Water Resources on 11 September 2015 constituted a seven-member committee to advise it on restructuring the Central Water Commission (CWC) and the Central Ground Water Board (CGWB).
- The expert committee will be headed by former Planning Commission member Mihir Shah.
- The committee was mandated to suggest ways for optimal development of water resources in the country.
- In doing so, the committee will undertake elaborate mapping exercise as part of river basin planning that will include mapping and characterizing of aquifiers.
National Engineer's Day celebrated on 15th September
- Engineers play an important role in the making of a nation. In India, Engineers Day is marked on the birth anniversary of the most beloved engineer, India has ever produced Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya.
- The 48th Engineers' Day is being celebrated with the theme of "Engineering Challenges for Knowledge Era".
- Visvesvaraya, who was a proud recipient of India's highest civilian award Bharat Ratna in 1955, was born on Sept 15, 1860. He is best known for his cutting edge research, innovation and hard work.
- He also designed the Khadakwasla Dam near Pune, Tigra Dam in Gwalior and handled several projects across the country.
- Born in Muddenahalli village (40 kms away from Mysore), Sir M Visvesvaraya did his primary schooling in Chikballapur and attended high school in Bangalore.
International Democracy Day observed on 15th September
- September 15 is International Democracy Day and the theme for this year is "Space for Civil Society", terribly important for many reasons, not the least being that democracy is first and last about “government by the people”.
- Civil society refers to the ways in which those people organise themselves to act together in groups, short of entering the political process.
- Civil society is a platform where the government and the people interact. It is also an important means for their participation.
UN adopted Resolution proclaiming 9 December as International Genocide Commemoration Day
- United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on 11 September 2015 adopted the resolutions that proclaims 9 December as International Day of Commemoration & Dignity of the Victims of the Crime of Genocide and of the Prevention of this Crime.
- The resolution on International Day initiated by Armenia is intended to commemorate and honour the victims of the crime of genocide around the world, and to raise awareness of the Convention and its role in protecting populations from future genocides.
- The resolution was adopted without a vote in the 193-member Assembly and it reiterates the responsibility of each individual State to protect its populations from genocide through appropriate and necessary means.
Awards & Honors –
Sheikh Hasina Wins UN Award for Leadership on Climate Change
- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has been announced as one of the winners of the United Nations Champions of the Earth award in recognition of her country's initiatives to address climate change.
- "Serving as Prime Minister of Bangladesh – one of the world's least-developed countries – Sheikh Hasina has proven that investing in climate change is conducive to achieving social and economic development," said the announcement issued by the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), which confers the awards.
- UNEP noted that Bangladesh is one of the world's most populated countries, with over 159 million people. It is also one of the most vulnerable to the impacts of climate change. Cyclones, floods and droughts have long been part of the country's history, but they have intensified in recent years.
Indian-Origin Author Among Six Shortlisted for Man Booker Prize
- Indian-origin British author Sunjeev Sahota is among six writers shortlisted for the prestigious Man Booker Prize for Fiction for 2015, it was announced here today.
- The six names were announced by chair of judges, Michael Wood, at a press conference.
- The Year of the Runaways by Derbyshire-born Sahota deals in his book about 13 young men, living in a house in Sheffield in the UK, each in flight from India and in desperate search of a new life.
- Sweeping between India and England, and between childhood and the present day, the novel is a story of an unlikely family thrown together by circumstances.
- 34-year-old Sahota, was born in 1981 in Derbyshire. His debut novel, Ours are the Streets, was called 'nothing short of extraordinary'. He currently lives in Sheffield.
- The judges remarked on the variety of writing styles, cultural heritage and literary backgrounds of the writers on the shortlist, which includes new authors alongside established names.
We Care Solar won $1 million ‘Powering the Future We Want’ grant of the United Nations
- We Care Solar on 14 September 2015 won 1 million US dollar ‘Powering the Future We Want’ grant given by the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA).
- Dr. Laura Stachel, co-founder of We Care Solar, accepted the award at a ceremony held at UN Headquarters in New York.
- We Care Solar provide renewable energy at low cost with a medical device that prevents maternal and child complications during labour in areas without electricity.
- Besides, Masdar, a renewable energy company, received a special award, and BYD, an electric vehicle company, was chosen to receive special recognition.
Sports Ministry recognized the Indian Kalarippayattu Federation as Regional Sports Federation
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports on 14 September 2015 recognized the Indian Kalarippayattu Federation as Regional Sports Federation with a view to promote and give due acknowledgement and importance to sports having regional spread.
- This recognition grants a major role to the Indian Kalarippayattu Federation (IKF) in promoting and developing Kalarippayattu sport in India.
- Kalaripayattu sport is a Martial art sport that is performed in Southern state of Kerala and in some parts of Tamil Nadu.
Malcolm Turnbull sworn in as 29th Prime Minister of Australia
- Malcolm Turnbull was on 15 September 2015 sworn in as the 29th Prime Minister of Australia. Turnbull was sworn in by Governor-General Peter Cosgrove.
- With this, Turnbull, the former Communication Minister of Australia, became Australia's fourth prime minister since 2013. Turnbull gained the power as leader of the ruling centre-right Liberal Party after defeating Tony Abbott in an internal party leadership ballot.
- In the ballot, Abbott received 44 votes while Turnbull received 54 votes.
Daily Expected Questions on Stock GK
Wanakbori Thermal Power Station is located in which state?
Shaheed Veer Narayan Singh International Cricket Stadium is located in which city/state?
- Raipur, Chhattisgarh
Who is the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh?
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan
Thousand Pillar Temple is located in which state?
Bhimbandh Wildlife Sanctuary is located in which state?