Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 11th September, 2015. These are important for the upcoming IBPS PO V Exam.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
Rs 500 notes most in demand, Rs 1,000 notes at second place
- When it comes to currency notes, Rs 500 bills top the demand charts in India, followed by thousand-rupee notes at the second place, an Assocham study said today.
- Of all bank notes in circulation, Rs 500 denomination bills accounted for 46%, while thousand-rupee notes were close behind at 39.3% as on March 2015.
- Showing its poor purchasing power, the Rs 100 notes accounted for just 10.5% of total currency notes in circulation, Assocham said in its survey based on RBI data.
- Among other denominations, twenty-rupee notes account for less than 1% of the currency in circulation and Rs 50 notes are just about 1.2% of the cash in circulation, the chamber observed.
- In March 2013, twenty rupee notes accounted for 5.2% of the total cash which got reduced to 0.6% in March, 2015. While fifty rupee notes accounted for 4.7% of the total circulation in the same month of that year.
Google launches new mobile wallet Android Pay in US
- Google has announced that it is officially launching its new mobile payments platform Android Pay in the US.
- According to The Next Web, it replaces Google Wallet as Google's primary NFC-based payment system.
- Android Pay allows the users to make contactless payments using their smartphone at participating retailers.
- Android Pay works with MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express cards from numerous major US banks. Citibank and Wells Fargo are not currently available on the platform, but Google says they will be added soon along with other banks.
- The company says Android Pay will work at over one million businesses throughout the US which includes brands like Best Buy, McDonalds, Walgreens and Whole Foods.
Global Investors Meet 2015 held in Tamil Nadu
- The Global Investors Meet (GIM 2015) was on 10 September 2015 held in Tamil Nadu to woo investors to invest in the state. The GIM 2015 was officially inaugurated by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa at the Chennai Trade Centre.
- The first-of-its-kind investor’s summit in Tamil Nadu was aimed at targeting investment commitment of 1 lakh crore rupees. Over 5000 delegates including from foreign nations attended the two-day summit, that is, from 9 September to 10 September 2015.
- This event sought to realize the State’s vision of inclusive growth through investment inflows, growth in employment, balanced regional development and environmentally sustainable long term development.
- Nine countries registered themselves as partner nations for this mega investment event.
- HCL will invest over 1 billion US dollars over the next five years in southern Tamil Nadu.
- Mahindra & Mahindra will invest 2000 crore rupees in the state.
- Yamaha will set up a third plant in Tamil Nadu while TVS Motor Company will expand its footprint in Hosur and TICEL Bio Park II will also be set up.
- Several agreements were signed for setting up of 5345 MW solar power projects involving an outlay of 35356 crore rupees.
Rajasthan first state to submit Annual Action Plan under Atal Mission (AMRUT)
- Rajasthan on 11 September 2015 became the first Indian state to submit State Annual Action Plan under Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT).
- Under the Action Plan, Rajasthan has targeted universal coverage in respect of water supply connections, sewerage connections and urban transport to all urban households in the state.
- The State Government has proposed projects under these two categories worth 1087 crore rupees for approval by the Union Urban Development Ministry during the financial year 2015-16.
- Under the State Annual Action Plan, AMRUT projects are proposed to be taken up in 13 of the 28 AMRUT cities in Rajasthan.
Union HRD Ministry launched National Web Portal for Apprenticeship Training
- Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Smriti Irani on 10 September 2015 launched the National Web Portal for promotion of National Apprenticeship Scheme for Graduates, Diploma holders and 10+2 pass-outs vocational certificate holders.
- The Union Ministry also released a Logo and a Slogan Sashakt Yuva, Samarth Bharat for the National Web Portal.
- The Union Ministry implements the apprenticeship training scheme for one year through Board of Apprenticeship Training (BOATs)/Board of Practical Training (BOPT) located at Mumbai, Chennai, Kanpur and Kolkata.
Virat Kohli became co-owner of IPTL’s franchise UAE Royals
- Virat Kohli, the test cricket captain of India, on 10 September 2015 became the co-owner of the UAE Royals. The team will be led by tennis ace Roger Federer.
- Federer played for the Indian Aces team in 2014 when the inaugural season of IPTL (International Premier Tennis League) was played but this time he will be featuring for the Royals.
- The UAE Royals feature some of tennis' greatest players like Tomas Berdych, Ana Ivanovic, Goran Ivanisevic, Daniel Nestor, and Kristina Mladenovic.
- The UAE leg of the league will be held from 14 to 16 December 2015 at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium.
Indian-American Jagdeep Grewal Sworn-in as First Female Postmaster of Sacramento
- Indian-American Jagdeep Grewal was on 3 September 2015 sworn-in as the first woman postmaster of Sacramento city in California. With her swearing-in, Sacramento got a female postmaster after a span of 166 years.
- As per the US Postal Service, Gerwal (57) will oversee 1004 employees who process and deliver mail on 537 city routes and 94 rural routes.
- Grewal started her career with the US Postal Service as a window clerk in 1988. Five years later, she was promoted to the post of the manager. She has also worked as a postmaster in Pacifica-Daly City, California.
- She had received her bachelor’s degree in education and her master’s degree in language arts from Punjab University in India.
Books & Authors –
Novelist by Profession authored by Japaneese Author Haruki Murakami
- Popular Japanese novelist Haruki Murakami's new book has gone on sale, with a major domestic bookstore chain buying 90 per cent of the initial print run in a direct challenge to online rivals.
- Murakami's autobiographical essay, which translates into English as Novelist by Profession, appeared in bookstore shelves yesterday.
- The new book has grabbed headlines in Japanese media, partly because the Kinokuniya bookstore chain scooped up the bulk of the initial 100,000 copies of Murakami's work in a bid to compete with online giants such as Amazon.
Renowned water policy expert Ramaswamy R Iyer died
- Renowned water policy expert Ramaswamy R Iyer passed away on 9 September 2015 following a severe bout of viral fever in New Delhi. He was 86.
- Iyer was known for producing a rich body of commentary on water policy and environmental issues. His opinion pieces in the national daily The Hindu were widely read and appreciated by regular readers.
- His last held position was that of an honorary research professor at the Centre for Policy Research. Prior to that, Iyer served as Secretary of Water Resources in the central government as an officer of the Indian Audit and Accounts Service.
- He was instrumental in drafting India’s first National Water Policy in 1987. For his valuable contributions, he was also awarded with the Padma Shri in 2014.
Former Member of Parliament Balkrishna Wasnik died
- Senior Congress Leader and former Member of Parliament Balkrishna Ramchandra Wasnik died on 10 September 2015 following cardiac arrest. He was 86.
- He is survived by his son and All India Congress Committee General Secretary and Former Union Minister Mukul Wasnik and two daughters.
- He had represented two constituencies of Vidarbha in Parliament namely Bhandara (in 1957 and 1962) and Buldhana (1980).
- Wasnik, a dedicated activist worked for developments of the Dalits and other deprived and underprivileged sections of the society. He was a staunch supporter of separate Vidarbha.
Veteran Cong Leader G. K. Chatrath Dies
- Veteran Congress leader Gopal Krishan Chatrath died here today following a brief illness, his family said.
- Chatrath, a senator of Punjab University (PU) here, was also a former Advocate General and former Congress MLA.
- He was elected as MLA from Batala in the year 1980. For decades he had been the senator of PU. Presently, he was the chairman of Punjab Congress disciplinary action committee.
- His daughter Anu Chatrath had also been Chandigarh's mayor in the past.
- Meanwhile, Punjab chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal and Punjab Congress chief Partap Singh Bajwa condoled the death of Chatrath.
Actor John P. Connell Dies Aged 91
- John P Connell, best known as the star of the daytime drama Young Dr. Malone, has died in Woodland Hills. He was 91.
- Born in Philadelphia, Connell received five battle stars and a Purple Heart during World War II. He was a radio operator and waist gunner aboard a B-24 crew which completed 43 bombing missions, reported Variety.
- He broke into show business on Broadway in Time Limit and Uncle Willie and with the national company of Picnic.
- Connell worked on dozens of live TV broadcasts, including Studio One in Hollywood, Kraft Theatre, You Are There, and Goodyear Playhouse and starred for five years as Dr David Malone on Young Dr Malone.
Sha Na Na Founding Member Dennis Greene Dies
- Dennis Greene, a founding member of the rock and roll/doo-wop group Sha Na Na and former Columbia Pictures executive, has died at a hospital in Dayton, Ohio. He was 66.
- According to the LA Times, Greene died after a brief illness on Saturday.
- Greene reached fame as part of Sha Na Na, the group known for 'Tears on My Pillow' and 'Born to Hand-Jive.' Both songs were on the soundtrack of the 1978 film "Grease," along with other tracks performed by the group including 'Those Magic Changes,' 'Hound Dog,' 'Rock & Roll Is Here to Stay' and 'Blue Moon.'
- Sha Na Na appeared as a band called Johnny Casino and the Gamblers in the film, along with appearances in the 1970 documentary 'Woodstock' and the group's television series, 'Sha Na Na.' The variety show aired from 1978 to 1981.
Daily Expected Questions on Stock GK:
1. Akrimota Thermal Power Station is located in which state?
2. Brihadeeswarar Temple is located in which state?
- Tamil Nadu
3. Patliputra Sports Complex is located in which state/city?
- Bihar, Patna
4. Who is the chief minister of Arunachal Pradesh?
- Nabam Tuki
5. Dakar is the capital city of ________.