Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here is a set of English Quiz for SSC CGL 2015.
Directions (1-5): In the following questions, some of the sentences have errors and some have none. Find out which part of a sentence has an error.
1. (A) Two hours have passed / (B) since / (C) he had fallen asleep./ (D) No error.
2. (A) Having broken down / (B) the driver sent the car /(C) to the garage./ (D) No error.
|Solutions -‘Since the car had broken down’ is the correct formation.|
3. (A) He is one of those writers / (B) who has won acclaim / (C) the world over./ (D) No error.
4. (A) The items I liked the most / (B) were the rosewood carvings / (C) and the teak-wood furnitures of Dutch design./ (D) No error.
5. (A) A part of the training / (B) they offered was / (C) real good./ (D) No error.
Directions (6-10): In the following question, four alternatives are given for the idiom/ phrase in bold in the sentence. Choose the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
6. He went on sowing wild oats; he reaped sufferings in his old age.
(A) Inviting troubles as a boy
(B) Warning others as a young man
(C) Irresponsible pleasure seeking in young age
(D) Sowing gains called oats when young
7. I don’t know why she has become standoffish recently.
(A) Angry (B) Hilarious
(C) Indifferent (D) Unmanageable
8. I cannot put up with your misconduct any longer.
(A) Excuse (B) Refuse
(C) Accept (D) Tolerate
9. I did not mind what he was saying, he was only talking through his hat.
(A) Talking nonsense (B) Talking ignorantly
(C) Talking irresponsibly (D) Talking insultingly
10. He is so furious that he would go through fire and water to revenge himself on his foe.
(A) Approach everybody for help
(B) Avail himself of any opportunity
(C) Use any conceivable method
(D) Undergo any risk