Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 29th August, 2015. These are Important for the upcoming IBPS Clerk 2015 Exam. Newest feature is added today. We will be providing 5 Stock GKs along with the Current Affairs. Please comment your views below.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
RBI governor cautions U.S. Fed against raising rates
- India’s apex bank has cautioned its U.S counterpart on going ahead with a rate hike, especially at a time when world economic growth is stalling which has led to massive volatility in currency, equity and commodity markets.
- Caution regarding a hike during the upcoming US Federal Reserves (US Fed) rate decision was conveyed by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Raghuram Rajan in an interview with CNBC at Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
- The US Fed is expected to announce its decision to hike interest rates after a decade or so of easy monetary regime with interest rates pegged at near zero levels during its policy meet scheduled on September 16-17.
- The Indian markets are worried that the recent positive data points from the US has heightened chances of a US rate hike in September.
- High interest rates in the US are expected to lead away the foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) from emerging markets like India. It is also expected to dent business margins as access to capital from the US will become expensive.
- After having cut the short term lending rate thrice thus far in this calendar year to bring it down to 7.25 percent, the RBI kept key lending rates unchanged during its last monetary policy meet held on August 4.
- RBI that time said that further cuts can only be effected if commercial lenders pass on the previous reductions to borrowers. RBI has so far reduced lending rates by 75 basis points in 2015.
NTPC sets a record in single-day power generation of 733.12 million units
- State-owned NTPC Ltd, India's largest power generator, has achieved a record highest single-day electricity generation of 733.12 million units.
- The record generation of 733.12 million units from NTPC's 18 coal-based power plants, 7 gas-based units and 8 solar and hydro power stations, was achieved on August 27, the company said in a statement.
- NTPC currently has an installed capacity of 45,548 Mega-Watts (MW) (including 6,196 MW through joint ventures), according to the company website.
- During financial year 2014-15, NTPC contributed 25 per cent of total electricity generated in India with 16 per cent share of country's total installed capacity as on March 31.
National Sports Day celebrated on 29th August
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday paid tribute to hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand on his 110th birth anniversary and extended best wishes to all sports enthusiasts across the country on the occasion of the National Sports Day.
- A few sportspersons and coaches will be honoured with the National Sports Awards at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi on Saturday. National Sports Day is celebrated on August 29.
- Dhyan Chand, born on August 29, 1905 was an Indian field hockey player, who is widely considered the greatest hockey player of all time
- The legendary hockey player won gold medals for India at the 1928, 1932 and 1936 Olympics.
- Known as “The Wizard” for his superb ball control, Dhyan Chand played his final international match in 1948. He scored over 400 goals during his international career.
Indian Women Hockey Team Qualifies for Olympics After 36 Years
- Indian women's hockey team will return to the Olympics after a long gap of 36 years as it qualified today for next year's Rio Games, courtesy England making it to the final of the ongoing EuroHockey Championships in London.
- England's semifinal victory over Spain, coming after the Netherlands' win over Germany in the other semifinal in the European Championships freed one quota place as both the finalists have already qualified for the Olympic Games.
- India took the quota place on the basis of its fifth-place finish in the women's Hockey World League Semifinals in Antwerp, Belgium last month.
- International Hockey Federation (FIH) confirmed that Indian women's team has qualified for the Rio Games.
- India are the 10th team to qualify for Rio Olympics. The last two participating teams will be confirmed in the 2015 Africa Cup for Nations in Egypt and 2015 Oceania Cup in New Zealand in November.
- The Indian women's team will commence its outing from August 7 in the Rio Olympics.
Awards & Honors –
Sania Mirza conferred with Khel Ratna award
- Tennis star Sania Mirza was conferred with the prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, the country’s highest sporting honour, froom the President Pranab Mukherjee in a glittering ceremony at the Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi on Saturday.
- Sania became the second tennis player to receive the country’s highest sporting honour after Leander Paes on a day when Sports Ministry was fighting a court case that raised questions against its process of selecting the awardees.
- The President also gave away the Arjuna awards even as the line-up was low on star power in the absence of cricketer Rohit Sharma, who missed the ceremony alongside boxer Mandeep Jangra and quarter miler M R Poovamma. In all, the (retired) Justice V K Bali led panel had recommended 17 names for Arjuna.
- Sania, who attracted the loudest applause from the esteemed gathering at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, received a medal, certificate and cash prize of Rs. 7.5 lakh. She had flown in just to receive the award ahead of the US Open starting in New York on Monday.
- The Arjuna awardees received statuettes, certificates and award money of Rs.5 lakh each.
- The ceremony, however, was shrouded in controversy with the ignored athletes and coaches not accepting the recommendations of the Ministry-appointed panel.
Gillette India appoints Al Rajwani as Managing Director
- FMCG firm Gillette India today said it has appointed Al Rajwani as its Managing Director for a period of five years, effective today.
- “Al Rajwani has been appointed as Managing Director of the company for a period of five years with effect from August 29, 2015,” Gillette India said in a BSE filing.
- Besides, Narendra P Sarda has also been appointed as an Independent Director of the company, it added.
STOCK GK Bits:
- Sechu Tuan Nala Wildlife Sanctuary - Himachal Pradesh
- Brihadeeswara Temple - Tamil Nadu
- Sterlite Jharsuguda Power Station - Odisha
- International Organization for Standardization - Geneva, Switzerland
- Fatorda Stadium - Goa