Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 23rd and 24th August, 2015. These are Important for the upcoming IBPS RRB, IBPS Clerk Exam 2015.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
Bandhan Financial Services started operations as Scheduled Commercial Bank
- Bandhan Financial Services, a Micro Financial Institution (MFI), on 23 August 2015 started operations as a Scheduled Commercial Bank (SCB). Henceforth it will be called as Bandhan Bank.
- The banking services were inaugurated by the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in Kolkata.
- With this, Bandhan became the first micro finance company in the country to start operations as a full-fledged commercial bank. It is also the first commercial bank from Eastern India to get RBI clearance since independence.
- Bandhan along with IDFC (Infrastructure Development Finance Company) were granted banking licenses in 2014 by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). The move was aimed at deepening financial services reach in the country by utilizing the services of the existing players in the market.
DJB commissioned 1st ever Hydro-power plant at Chilla
- Delhi Jal Board (DJB) on 23 August 2015 commissioned the first ever Hydro-power plant in the city. The power plant set up at Chilla area of east Delhi will be run through the Hydraulic Turbine propelled by treated effluents coming out of a Sewerage Treatment Plant.
- An official release said that the treated effluents will fall through the height of 4.8m and create pressure and velocity that will propel rotation of the turbine thereby generating power. It is a Pilot Project which has been set up free of cost and will produce 20000 KWH of electricity per year.
- The release also termed the technology as pollution free, as no fossil fuel is being used in the generation of the power.
India, Egypt agree to step up bilateral cooperation
- India and Egypt on Monday decided to put in place a bilateral framework for enhancing cooperation in key areas of security, counterterrorism, defence and investments.
- Both sides agreed to step up engagement in a range of potential areas while underlining the need to combat terrorism particularly the threat of IS in an effective manner as visiting External Affairs Minister Swaraj called on Egyptian President Fattah Al-Sisi.
- The Indian side suggested that the IS should be fought in a “determined and collective manner.”
- Ms. Swaraj later met her Egyptian counterpart Sameh Hassan Shoukry during which both sides reviewed the entire gamut of relationship and decided to diversify defence cooperation from training of personnel to defence production.
Tata Trusts signs MoU with AP for developing smart villages
- Tata Trusts has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Andhra Pradesh Government to develop 264 villages in Vijayawada constituency and transform them into smart villages.
- In a major boost to the State Government’s flagship ‘Smart Village-Smart Ward’ programme, the Tata Trusts has agreed to work in the areas of bamboo cultivation, fisheries, health and nutrition and village development.
- During an interaction with AP Chambers of Commerce and Industry Federation in Vijayawada on Monday, Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu said, “Ratan Tata’s (Chairman Emeritus of Tata Group), credibility and simplicity add value to this social programme.”
UNFCCC, MSSRF to work for conservation of coastal resources of Andhra Pradesh
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the Chennai-based MS Swaminathan Research Foundation (MSSRF) in third week of August 2015 agreed to work together for the conservation of coastal resources in Andhra Pradesh.
- The UNFCCC has sanctioned 3.8 crore rupees for the potential adaptation strategy of MSSRF in Krishna district through an adaptation fund.
- The objective of the adaptation initiative is to overcome the consequences of sea level rise and seawater inundation following cyclones.
Sri Lankan cricketer Kumar Sangakkara retired from International Cricket
- Former Sri Lankan cricket captain and batsman Kumar Sangakkara on 24 August 2015 retired from International Cricket.
- He played his last match against India as part of three match test series held in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- In an event held on this occasion, he was offered the post of Sri Lanka's High Commissioner to the UK by the Sri Lankan president Maithripala Sirisena.
- Sangakkara had already taken retirement from One-Day International (ODI) and Twenty-20 cricket. He retired from Twenty-20 cricket format after Sri Lanka won the T20 World cup in 2014. He retired from ODI cricket format after the ICC World Cup 2015.
- In his Test match career he scored 38 centuries and 52 half-centuries from 134 matches.
- In ICC World Cup 2015, Kumar Sangakkara created a record by becoming first batsman to score hundreds in three consecutive World Cup matches.
- In 2011, he was named as the ODI Cricketer of the Year at the ICC awards ceremony and in 2012, he was honoured as one of the Wisden Cricketers of the Year.
- On 29 January 2015, Sangakkara became Sri Lanka's highest ever ODI run scorer by surpassing the previous record of 13430 runs held by cricketer Sanath Jayasuriya.
Usain Bolt won 100 meter title at 2015 World Championships in Athletics in Beijing
- Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt on 23 August 2015 won the 100 meter title at the 2015 World Championships in Athletics held at Beijing in China.
- The defending champion completed the race in 9.79 seconds surpassing his American rival Justin Gatlin who completed the race in 9.80 seconds.
- With this win, Bolt joined the select league of Carl Lewis and Maurice Greene who won the title for three times.
- Earlier in February 2015, the 28-year-old six-time Olympic gold medalist declared that he would retire after 2017 World Championships in London.
Roger Federer won Cincinnati Masters Men’s Singles tennis title for record seventh time
- Roger Federer of Switzerland on 23 August 2015 won the Cincinnati Masters Men’s Singles title by defeating Novak Djokovic of Serbia. The final match was held at Cincinnati in Ohio State of the USA.
- Federer defeated the reigning world champion 7-6 6-3 to win the title for record seventh time.
- He won in all his appearances in the finals held in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015 out of which he defeated Djokovic in 2009 and 2012. For Djokovic, it is the fifth appearance in the finals and so far he did not win a single title.
- The title is considered as one of nine elite Masters 1000 tournaments on the ATP World Tour and Federer won it most of the times till date.
Golfer Aditi Ashok became first Indian to win the Ladies British Amateur Golf championship
- Aditi Ashok of Bengaluru on 22 August 2015 became the first Indian to win the Ladies British Amateur stroke play golf championship at the Moortown Golf Club at Leeds, United Kingdom.
- 17-year-old Aditi is not only the first Indian to take the title, but also the youngest-ever winner of the tournament.
- Over the 4 days of the tournament, Aditi shot four days total of 11-under 285 (71, 73, 70, 71) at the par 74 club. She carded five birdies and four bogeys in halves of 37-34 and made one eagle on 16th on the final day.
England won 2015 Ashes Test series 3-2
- England cricket team on 23 August 2015 won 2015 Ashes Test series, 3-2 against Australia at England. In the fifth and final match of the series, Australia defeated England by an innings and 46 runs at Ovals.
- England had already clinched the series with victories in three of the first four games.
- 1st Test: Played at Sophia Gardens, Cardiff between 8 July and 11 July 2015. England won the match by 169 runs. Joe Root of England was declared Player of the match.
- 2nd Test: Played at Lord’s, London between 16 July and 19 July 2015. Australia won the match by 405 runs. Steven Smith of Australia was declared Player of the match. The match also saw debut of Australian cricketer Peter Nevill.
- 3rd Test: Played at Edgbaston, Birmingham between 29 July and 31 July 2015. England won the match by 8 wickets. Steven Finn of England was declared Player of the match.
- 4th Test: Played at Trent Bridge, Nottingham between 6 August and 8 August 2015. England won the match by an innings and 78 runs. Stuart Broad of England was declared Player of the match.
- 5th Test: Played at Kennington Oval, London between 20 August and 23 August 2015. Australia won the match by an innings and 46 runs. Steve Smith of Australia was declared Player of the match.
- Chris Rogers of Australia and Joe Root of England jointly shared the man of the series award.
Serena Williams won Cincinnati Masters Women’s Singles title for second time
- World number one ranking Serena Williams on 23 August 2015 won the Cincinnati Masters Women’s Singles title by defeating the third seeded Simona Halep of Romania.
- Having won the 2014 title, it was the third appearance in the finals (2013, 2014 and 2015) and the second Cincinnati title win for the American player.
- Also, it the 69th singles overall title for the American player.
- In the Women’s category, the title is considered only next to the four Grand slam titles.
U Mumba defeated Bengaluru Bulls to win Pro Kabaddi League
- The raiders became wary of taking undue risks and the final of the STAR Sports ProKabaddi League’s second season dished out dismal fare in the presence of partisan and vociferous home fans at the National Sports Club of India here on Sunday.
- The defenders of both sides either fell in a heap over the raider or hoisted him to win points. On this count U Mumba’s Vishal Mane and Rishank Devadiga, and Bengaluru Bulls’ Dharmaraj Cheralathan excelled.
- The defensive tactics employed by the teams was the highlight of the final, and eventually U Mumba, which held the advantage at half time, sustained its effort in the second session to prevail 36-30 over a persevering opponent.
- Taking the initiative, the home team’s Shabeer Bapu won two touch points, but it was the admirable work done by defender Mane and all-rounder Devadiga that caught the attention. Clearly the anxiety to win the title and prize money of Rs. 1 crore was weighing down the two teams.
Amol Palekar appointed chairman of India’s Oscar jury
- Veteran actor-director Amol Palekar has been appointed as chairman of India’s Oscar jury, which will select the country’s official entry in the best foreign film category of the 88th Academy Awards.
- The “Gol Maal” star, 70, whose film “Paheli” was India’s official entry for the Academy Awards in 2005, will be heading the 17-member jury.
- The Mumbai-based actor, who has been away from the silver screen for quite a sometime, is known for portraying the middle-class Indian in a string of films such as “Rajnigandha”, “Ek Chhoti Si Baat”, “Chitchor”, “Gol Maal” and “Gharaunda” in the 1970s.
- He also directed National Award-winning films like “Dhyaas Parva” and “Quest”.
- Last year, “Liar’s Dice”, a road drama starring Geetanjali Thapa and Nawazuddin Siddiqui in lead roles, was selected as India’s official entry to the best foreign film category after beating “Shahid”, “Queen”, “Mardaani”, Marathi films “Yellow” and “Fandry” and Bengali films “Jatishwar” and “Apur Panchali” .
Awards & Honors –
Zaina Erhaim of Syria named winner of 2015 PETER MACKLER AWARD FOR COURAGEOUS AND ETHICAL JOURNALISM
- The Peter Mackler Award, the US branch of Reporters Without Borders (RSF), and Agence France-Presse are pleased to announce that Syrian journalist is the 2015 winner of the Peter Mackler Award for Courageous and Ethical Journalism. The award will be presented in a ceremony at the National Press Club on October 22, 2015.
- Zaina Erhaim, 30, currently lives and works in Aleppo, Syria. Over the last two years, she has trained about 100 citizen reporters from inside Syria, approximately a third of them women, in print and TV journalism, and has helped establish many of the new emerging independent newspapers and magazines in the war torn country.
- Erhaim is also the Syria project coordinator for the Institute for War and Peace Reporting (IWPR), an international organization that support journalists in countries undergoing conflict, crisis, or transition. Many of Ms. Erhaim’s students, from all walks of life, have been published in major international news outlets.