Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 30th July, 2015. These are Important for the IBPS RRB Exam 2015.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
Nation Bids Tearful Adieu to Kalam
- In a spontaneous outpouring of grief, thousands of people bid an an emotional farewell to former President APJ Abdul Kalam who was today laid to rest with full state honours in his home town here amid chants of "Bharat Mata Ki Jai".
- The body of Kalam was buried in the middle of a 1.5 acre piece of land earmarked for the purpose at Peikarumbu here after being brought from his family mosque where special prayers were offered.
- The "People's President" was accorded full military honours, including gun salute and playing of the Last Post as the members of his family and local Jamath lowered his mortal remains into a trench as slogans of "Bharat Mata Ki Jai" rent the air.
- The funeral of the "Missile Man" was attended by a galaxy of leaders including Prime Minister Narendra Modi who placed a wreath, offered his final salute and stood in silence in front of Kalam's body that was draped in national flag. He also went around the casket with folded hands.
Assam to Set Up Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Centre for Innovation
- Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today announced that the state government would soon set up a centre for innovation named after late former President A P J Abdul Kalam, who passed away on Monday.
- Dr A P J Abdul Kalam Centre for Innovation would help engage the young minds of the state and the North East as a whole in entrepreneurship, innovation and creativity, Gogoi said in a statement here.
- This, in turn, will help to transform the lives of the common man and bring smiles on their faces, he said.
India to become most populous nation by 2022: UN World Population Prospects
- United Nations (UN) on 29 July 2015 released the report title World Population Prospects: The 2015 Revision at the UN Headquarters in New York.
- According to the report, India will surpass China to become the most populous nation in the world by 2022. In the forecast issued by UN in 2013 India was expected to surpass China's population by 2028.
- India’s population prospects
- It is projected to retain the top spot till 2100 and its population is projected to grow for several decades after 2022. It is forecasted to grow to 1.5 billion in 2030 and 1.7 billion in 2050.
- On the other hand, the population of China is expected to remain fairly constant until the 2030s, after which it is expected to slightly decrease.
- At present, India’s population is approximately 1.31 billion as compared to China’s population of 1.38 billion.
e-Tourist Visa scheme extended to China, Hong Kong and Macau
- e-Tourist Visa scheme was extended to China, Hong Kong and Macau with effect from 30 July 2015. The facility was extended as per the decision of the 29 July 2015 of Union Government.
- With the inclusion of these countries/territories, the total number of countries/territories covered under the e-Tourist Visa scheme will go up from 74 to 77.
- The e-Tourist Visa scheme was launched by the Government of India on 27 November 2014. Till date, the scheme has been extended to 77 countries/territories and will be extended to more countries/territories in a phased manner.
- Under this scheme, tourists with e-Tourist Visas can arrive at nine designated airports namely Bengaluru, Chennai, Cochin, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Kolkata, and Mumbai & Trivandrum.
Kalyani group ties up with Rafael to make Spike missiles
- In a move that will further deepen India-Israel strategic cooperation, Rafael of Israel and India’s Kalyani Group are forming a manufacturing Joint Venture (JV) to produce Spike Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) in India and Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) will be the system integrator.
- Spike is a third generation, fire-and-forget, man-portable, anti-tank missile. In all, about 40,000 missiles are required to equip the Army’s 382 infantry battalions and 44 mechanised regiments.
- In October last year the Defence Acquisition Council chaired by then Defence Minister Arun Jaitley had cleared the Spike ATGM deal worth Rs. 3,200 crore deal for 8,000 plus missiles, 300 plus launchers and requisite transfer of technology to an Indian firm. The U.S. had lobbied hard for its Javelin missiles with offer of joint development and production of next generations missiles for use by both countries.
‘Visaarnai’ became first Tamil film to enter Venice film festival
- Actor Dhanush produced Tamil thriller 'Visaaranai' will have its world premiere in the competition section of the upcoming 72nd Venice International Film Festival. The festival is scheduled to take place between 2 September and 12 September 2015.
- With this, Visaaranai will become the first Tamil film to have its world premiere in the competition section of the upcoming at Venice International Film Festival.
- Yet to be released, the film Visaranai written and directed by Vetrimaaran of Polladhavan fame is an experimental Tamil thriller movie. It is based on true events and is about police interrogation techniques and brutality.
- The film stars Attakathi Dinesh, Anandhi and Aadukalam Murugadoss in the leading roles.
Kotak launches mobile banking app for 'un-banked' regions
- Seeking to provide mobile banking services to customers in the remotest of regions, Kotak Mahindra Bank (KMB) today launched a mobile banking app 'Kotak Bharat' which requires no internet connectivity.
- The 'inclusive digital banking' app is primarily targetted to benefit customers in the under-banked and un-banked regions, who can access its services in their preferred language.
- It is currently available in Hindi and English. The app would also be available in Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil and Kannada in about a month, followed by other Indian languages.
- Kotak Bharat will enable customers manage their savings/current accounts and credit cards, KMB Executive Vice President Deepak Sharma said at a conference call here.
- The app is Android-based. It works on the existing SMS banking keyword process platform. The customers could download the app on their registered mobile number without any separate registration process.
SEBI cancelled Certificate of Registration of Sahara Mutual Fund
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) on 28 July 2015 cancelled the Certificate of Registration of Sahara Mutual Fund. Its licence would stand cancelled after 60 days from the date of the order.
- The market regulator in its order said that the company is not fit and proper entity to carry out the business of mutual fund.
- It also directed Sahara Mutual Fund or Sahara Asset Management Company Private Limited (Sahara AMC) not to take any new subscription from the investors including existing investors in Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs) or Systematic Transfer Plans (STP) and also not to levy any penalties on the investors for not depositing the installments.
- The regulator also asked the fund house to transfer activities of Sahara India Financial Corporation Limited (Sahara Sponsor) and Sahara Asset Management Company Private Limited (Sahara AMC) to a new sponsor and a SEBI approved asset Management Company at the earliest.
Paytm wins title sponsorship rights for BCCI matches
- One97 Communications, owners of Paytm, today acquired the title sponsorship rights for India’s domestic and international cricket matches at home for a period of four years with a bid price of Rs 203.28 crore.
- The decision to award the rights to One97 Communications till 2019 was taken at the BCCI’s marketing committee meeting here.
- The base price per match was Rupees 1.68 crore and the final price comes to Rs 2.42 crore per match. The amount per match is 40 lakh more than what Micromax, who were the only bidders in the 2014-15 season, gave the Board last year.
- From now on, the domestic Ranji competition will be known as the ‘Paytm Ranji Trophy’.
- There were only two bidders for the scheduled 84 matches (Tests, ODIs and T20Is) in India during the upcoming seasons as the rights have been awarded till 2019.
- The bids were opened at the BCCI marketing committee meeting that lasted for around five hours.
- BCCI Secretary Anurag Thakur said they were elated to have Paytm as their homes series title sponsors.
Books & Authors –
Anuradha Roy’s 'Sleeping on Jupiter' shortlisted for Man Booker Prize
- Indian writer Anuradha Roy's latest work on the malaise of sexual abuse in India has been shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2015.
- Her book 'Sleeping on Jupiter' that tells the story of Nomi and is set in Jarmuli - a city of temples and a centre of healing on the edge of the ocean has made it among the 13 books selected for the £50,000 literary prize.
- The story is about Nomi, a young girl who is taken from her family and finds herself in an ashram, overseen by a charismatic guru. But Guruji's charm masks a predatory menace and the young girl faces danger.
- Around 20 years later, Nomi returns to Jarmuli with a documentary film crew. All has changed in a town that she no longer knows, as tourists and market traders bustle, banter and chase their dreams amidst the temples of her youth.
- The longlist includes American writer Bill Clegg's 'Did You Ever Have a Family', Irish writer Anne Enright's 'The Green Road', Marlon James' (Jamaica) 'A Brief History of Seven Killings' and Tom McCarthy's (UK) 'Satin Island'.
- Also shortlisted are British writer Sunjeev Sahota's The Year of the Runaways and Kiwi writer Anna Smaill's The Chimes.
Procter & Gamble names David Taylor to succeed Lafley as CEO
- Procter & Gamble has named company insider David Taylor as president and chief executive effective Nov. 1. The executive, who heads P&G’s global beauty, grooming and health care division, succeeds A.G. Lafley, who will stay on with the Cincinnati company as executive chairman.
- Procter & Gamble said Tuesday that Taylor will also join the board of directors. Taylor started with P&G in 1980 and has helped build many of the company’s core businesses and led global businesses.
- It marks a major shift in leadership as Lafley served as CEO from 2000 to 2009 and returned from retirement to serve as CEO again in 2013. The company said that Lafley has played a key role in P&G’s success over the years.
Airtel appoints Jinesh Hegde as CEO of Sri Lanka operations
- Bharti Airtel (Airtel) on Thursday said it has appointed Jinesh Hegde as Chief Executive Officer of its Sri Lanka operations. He takes on this role from Suren Goonewardene.
- In his new role, Hegde will report to Ajai Puri, Director - Market Operations (India & South Asia), Bharti Airtel, the company said in a statement.
- Suren Goonewardene has been re-designated as Non-Executive Chairman of Airtel Lanka.
- Hegde has spent the past 14 years in the telecommunications industry, both in the consumer and enterprise space covering mobile, fixed line and enterprise business. Prior to joining Airtel, he has worked with Uninor (a subsidiary of Telenor Group – Norway in India).