Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 25th July, 2015. These are important for the second phase of RBI Assistant 2015 Exam.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
PM Narendra Modi launched Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana in Patna
- The Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi on 25 July 2015 launched Deendayal Upadhyay Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) along with various other development projects in Patna.
The Prime Minister also launched the following projects:
- Inaugurated the Daniawan-Bihar Sharif new railway line
- Flagged off the Rajgir-Bihar Sharif-Daniawan-Fatuha passenger train and Patna-Mumbai AC Suvidha Express
- Inaugurated campus of IIT Patna
- Laid the foundation stone for Incubation Centre for Medical Electronics, Patna
- Inaugurated the construction of the first phase of the Jagdishpur-Haldia pipeline project
- These projects will provide development and improve the quality of life of the people in the State.
The DeenDayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana for rural areas was launched to fulfil the following objectives:
- To provide electrification to all villages
- Feeder separation to ensure sufficient power to farmers and regular supply to other consumers
- Improvement of Sub-transmission and distribution network to improve the quality and reliability of the supply
- Metering to reduce the losses
- The Scheme has an outlay of 76000 crore rupees for implementation of the projects under which Union Government shall provide Grant of 63000 crore rupees.
The benefits of the scheme will be:
- All villages and households shall be electrified
- Increase in agriculture yield
- Business of Small and household enterprises shall grow resulting into new avenues for employment
- Improvement in Health, Education, Banking (ATM) services
- Improvement in accessibility to radio, telephone, television, internet and mobile
- Betterment in social security due to availability of electricity
- Accessibility of electricity to schools, panchayats, hospitals and police stations
- Rural areas shall get increased opportunities for comprehensive development
Two members of Anglo-Indian Community nominated to Lok Sabha
- The President has nominated two Anglo-Indians as members of Lok Sabha. They are: George Baker and Prof Richard Hay.
- George Baker, age 69, is an actor who has worked in Assamese and Bengali films. He worked in the Assamese film Chameli Memsaab, which won the Best Assamese Feature Film award. He also played the role of Sir William Eckhardt in the 2005 film Parineeta.
- Baker joined the BJP last year, contested the Lok Sabha elections from Howrah, West Bengal, but lost.
- With the nomination of two members from Anglo-Indian community, the present strength of Lok Sabha has reached 545.
Dhoni named ninth most marketable sportsperson
- India’s ODI cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni was named the ninth most marketable sportsperson in the world ahead of the likes of football superstar Lionel Messi in a list prepared by London School of Marketing.
- Dhoni also pipped football star Cristiano Ronaldo and Andy Murray in the list of the world’s 20 most marketable sportspersons.
- While compiling the list, LSM researchers looked at the brand value of the individuals along with their current income from sponsorship and the percentage of their total earnings it accounted for. Their social media presence was also taken into consideration.
- Swiss tennis master Roger Federer was named as the most marketable sports star in the world, followed by Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson at second and third respectively.
- The Swiss, who has 17 Grand Slam singles titles to his credit, missed his chance to grab his eighth Wimbledon title recently.
- Tennis stars dominate the power list with Djokovic seventh on the list, followed by Rafael Nadal. Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams — the only two women to make it into the top 20 — claim the 12th and 20th spots, respectively.
Union Government constituted All India Council of Sports
- The Union Government on 24 July 2015 constituted All India Council of Sports as an advisory body for the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports. The advice rendered by the council will be duly considered by the government, but it will not be binding and obligatory on the government.
- The Council will be headed by a President in the rank of Minister of State and will include four Members of Parliament, Sports personalities, coaches, sports experts, sports administrators, D-G of Sports Authority of India, D-G of National Anti Doping Agency, Vice Chancellor of LNIPE, officials from Sports Ministry, representatives from National Sports Federations, Indian Olympic Association and NGOs.
Objectives of the All India Council of Sports
- Popularizing sports amongst the youth as a way of life
- Increasing outreach of sports to rural and tribal areas, areas affected by left wing extremism, north east and Jammu & Kashmir
- Implementation of policies for promotion of sports and games in the country
- Matters relating to promotion of inclusiveness in sports with special focus on women, differently-abled, tribals etc
Sreesanth, Chandila, Chavan discharged in IPL spot-fixing case
- Slapped with charges including that of organised crime, India’s test discard S Sreesanth and two other cricketers Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan, were today discharged in the sensational 2013 IPL-6 spot-fixing case by a court here which held that police has failed to make out a case against them.
- The three cricketers, who were banned for life from the game by BCCI immediately after police action in the alleged scam two years ago, were clubbed with underworld fugitive dons Dawood Ibrahim and Chhota Shakeel. They were accused of involvement in organised crime syndicate run by the dons.
- But the court, which was to decide whether to frame charges in the case, however, said the police was also unable to substantiate charges under MCOCA and also under the Indian Penal Code. Six accused including Ibrahim and Shakeel were declared proclaimed offenders.
- It was of the view that there was no evidence in the case to frame charges in which the Delhi police had first filed a 6,000-page charge sheet against various accused and later came out with a supplementary charge sheet.
Awards & Honors –
Helena Ndume, Jorge Sampaio awarded with first-ever Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Prize
- Helena Ndume of Namibia and Jorge Sampaio of Portugal were on 24 July 2015 awarded with the first-ever Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Prize by the United Nations (UN) at the UN Headquarters in New York.
- Ndume, a female ophthalmologist, was awarded for treating blindness and eye-related illnesses in Namibia and throughout the developing world.
- While Sampaio, the former president of Portugal from 1996 to 2006 and also the former mayor of Lisbon from 1989 to 1995, was awarded for his contribution to his country for his struggle for the restoration of democracy in Portugal.
- The award ceremony was a part of the annual commemoration of Nelson Mandela International Day, which is observed on 18 July every year.
Former Kerala, Bihar Governor R. S. Gavai Dies
- Former Governor of Kerala and Bihar R S Gavai died this afternoon after a prolonged illness at a private hospital here. He was 86.
- Gavai is survived by wife Kamal and two sons. The elder son Justice Bhushan Gavai is a Bombay High Court judge of Nagpur bench and younger son Rajendra is leader of RPI (Gavai faction).
- The body was taken to Justice Bhushan Gavai's residence in the city and later kept at Deekshabhoomi for his followers to pay the last respects, his family said.
- The funeral will take place at his native village in Daryapur in Amravati district tomorrow, they said.
- Gavai was a former Chairman of the State Legislative Council and Lok Sabha member from Amravati Constituency.