Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 23rd July, 2015. These are Important for the 2nd Phase of RBI Assistant 2015 Exams.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
India ranked 12th in terms of power generation from nuclear source
- With the total power generation from nuclear reactors at 5308 MWe, India is ranked 12th in the world in terms of power generation from nuclear sources.
- This was revealed by Dr. Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of State for Atomic Energy and Space in a reply to an unstarred question in Lok Sabha on 22 July 2015 though the data with respect to this was published by Power Reactor Information System (PRIS) of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in May 2015.
- Further, in terms of number of nuclear reactors in operation, India was ranked at 7th position with 21 reactors.
- The released data further said that there are 31 countries including India in the world that generate electricity from nuclear source.
- Moreover, with 437 nuclear reactors in operation in world, the total power generation from nuclear stood at 377986 MWe.
Top 5 with Total Reactors and Generation
- United States of America 99 98639 MWe
- France 58 63130 MWe
- Japan 43 40290 MWe
- Russia 34 24654 MWe
- China 21 23025 MWe
SunEdison signs largest private solar PPA with Tata Power Distribution
- Renewable energy company SunEdison today announced that it has signed a power purchase agreement with Tata Power Delhi Distribution, for supplying electricity from a 180 MW solar plant that it would build in Madhya Pradesh. SunEdison will sell electricity to Tata Power for 20 years.
- SunEdison will sell the power at two tariffs--Rs 6.49 and Rs. 6.52.
- The plants are projected to generate 375,000 MW hours per year while and eliminating the emission of approximately 300,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide per annum.
- Maintenance of the plants will be carried out by SunEdison Services.
- This is said to be the largest private power purchase agreement between a renewable energy producer and a power distributor.
- SunEdison, which has its headquarters in the US, operates about 250 MW of wind and solar projects in India, and has plans to build or acquire 1,000 MW more.
BEE signed agreement with RECPDCL for Partial Risk Guarantee Fund for Energy Efficiency
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) in the third week of July 2015 signed an Implementing Agency Agreement with REC Power Distribution Company Ltd. (RECPDCL) for the operationalisation of Partial Risk Guarantee Fund for Energy Efficiency (PRGFEE).
- RECPDCL signed the agreement with BEE on behalf of the consortium between RECPDCL, REC Limited and Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL).
- The Agreement was signed by Secretary of BEE Sanjay Seth and Chief Financial Officer of RECPDCL Somya Kant in the presence of Dr. Ajay Mathur, Director General, BEE.
Pearson to sell Financial Times to Nikkei for $1.3 billion
- Pearson PLC, the owner of the Financial Times, said it has agreed to sell FT Group to Nikkei Inc. for 844 million pounds ($1.3 billion), payable in cash.
- John Fallon, chief executive of Pearson, said the company has been a proud proprietor of the Financial Times for nearly 60 years, but it is time for the business daily to change hands.
- Nikkei Inc. is the largest independent business media group in Asia, with flagship newspaper Nikkei as its core.
- Pearson, which considers educational products and services its core business, acquired the salmon-colored Financial Times in 1957. The FT Group includes the Financial Times, FT.com, a 50 percent stake in The Economist Group, and a joint venture with Vedomosti, a Russian business newspaper.
- The deal with Nikkei does not include FT Group’s London headquarters or Pearson’s stake in The Economist, Pearson said. The transaction is subject to regulatory approvals and is expected to close before the end of the year.
Union I&B Ministry approved ENIL proposal to purchase TV Today Network’s Oye FM
- The Entertainment Network (India) Ltd (ENIL) on 22 July 2015 received the approval from the Union Information & Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry to purchase 104.8 FM Oye FM radio station of TV Today Network (TVTN) that runs in four cities Amritsar, Jodhpur, Patiala and Shimla.
- The purchase will be subjected to the fulfilment of conditions specified by I&B Ministry that is execution of relevant documents with TVTN and completion of all other relevant formalities.
- Earlier, ENIL had signed the non-binding Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with TV Today Network to purchase seven radio stations.
- However, on 13 February 2015 and on 8 May 2015, I&B Ministry declined its approval on the grounds that the proposed sale by TVTN and proposed purchase by ENIL is not in conformity with the FM Radio Guidelines.
CCEA extended CCTNS deadline to March 2017
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 21 July 2015 approved a Home Ministry proposal to extend the deadline for implementation of Crime and Criminals Tracking network and Systems (CCTNS) project till March 2017.
- CCEA also approved additional five years phase for operation and maintenance of the CCTNS up to March 2022.
Objectives of the Scheme
- Make the Police functioning citizen friendly and more transparent by automating the functioning of Police Stations.
- Improve delivery of citizen-centric services through effective usage of ICT.
- Provide the Investigating Officers of the Civil Police with tools, technology and information to facilitate investigation of crime and detection of criminals.
- Improve Police functioning in various other areas such as Law and Order, Traffic Management etc.
UD Ministry receives Puducherry as first Smart City nomination
- In less than a month since the launch of the 'Smart City' Mission by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Puducherry has emerged as the first city to send its nomination to the Centre for the ambitious programme.
- The Union Territory of Puducherry has nominated its capital city for inclusion in the 100 Smart Cities Mission launched on June 25.
- Chief Secretary of Puducherry has forwarded the nomination along with all the forms and documents including the details of evaluation of all the five urban local bodies (ULBs) in the Union Territory as required in the Stage-1 of 'City Challenge' competition.
- These ULBs include Puducherry, Oulgaret, Kariakal, Mahe and Yanam.
- According to a senior ministry official, Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu has complimented the Puducherry government for being the first to send Smart City nomination and urged the Chief Minister N Rangaswamy to keep up the momentum.
- The High Powered Steering Committee (HPSC) constituted as per the Mission Guidelines and headed by Chief Secretary has overseen the process of first stage intra-state competition.
Ajay Mathur replaces RK Pachauri as TERI Chief
- Nobel laurate R.K. Pachauri, who is facing sexual harassment allegations from a woman employee, has been removed as Director-General of TERI.
- Ajay Mathur, Director-General, Bureau of Energy Efficiency, has been appointed as the Director-General of TERI.
- The decision was taken at the Governing Council meet of TERI, held on Thursday.
- Dr. Mathur holds a Ph D and a Master of Science from the University of Illinois. He completed a Bachelor of Engineering from the University of Roorkee. He began his career at TERI in 1986.
- TERI i.e The Energy and Resources Institute.
Conakry named as World Book Capital for 2017 by UNESCO
- Conakry, the capital of the Republic of Guinea, was on 21 July 2015 named as the World Book Capital for 2017 by United Nations Organization for Education, Science and Culture (UNESCO). The decision was made by an international committee of experts on 30 June 2015 during a meeting.
- The selection committee singled out Conakry for the quality and diversity of its programme, in particular for its focus on community involvement as well as for its well-structured budget and clear development goals with a strong emphasis on youth and literacy.
- With this, Conakry becomes the 17th city to be designated as World Book Capital, after Madrid (2001), Alexandria (2002), New Delhi (2003), Antwerp (2004), Montreal (2005), Turin (2006), Bogota (2007), Amsterdam (2008), Beirut (2009), Ljubljana (2010), Buenos Aires (2011), Yerevan (2012), Bangkok (2013), Port Harcourt (2014) Incheon (2015) and Wroclaw (2016).
French film The Big Day to showcase Anand Kumar's Super 30
- Super 30 initiative of mathematician Anand Kumar was in news in July 2015 as it will now feature in a 90-minute film The Big Day made by famous French director Pascal Plisson. The initiative helps students of deprived section to crack the prestigious IIT entrance examination.
- The Big Day is ready to hit the screens in August 2015 and its clips are being shown on TV and YouTube.
- The film comprises of four special stories from across the globe. One of the four stories is a story of a girl named Nidhi Jha, a student of Super 30, who at present is studying at ISM, Dhanbad. Nidhi cracked JEE (advance) in 2014.
Books & Authors –
Book titled Ghosts of Calcutta authored by Sebastian Ortiz released
- Book titled Ghosts of Calcutta authored by Sebastian Ortiz was released on 23 July 2015. Sebastian Ortiz is the pen name of French Consul-General of India Fabrice Etienne.
- The book translated from French and published by the Kolkata-based Sampark was launched by French Ambassador in Delhi François Richier.
- The book is the result of Fabrice search for the ghosts of British Raj-era in Kolkata. However, the book not only tells about the ghosts only but also about other characters like friends, associates, passer-bys, who were around him.
R.D. Burman: The Prince of Music written by Khagesh Dev Burman
- Book titled R.D. Burman: The Prince of Music authored by Khagesh Dev Burman was released on 27 June 2015, the day when the music world celebrated the 76th birth anniversary of Rahul Dev Burman.
- The author through the book has tried to look into almost every aspect of R.D Burman like his childhood in Kolkata, his failure in studies, his beginning as an assistant to his father SD Burman as well as his rise as a musician. It also looks into his downfall due to ill-health and some bad decisions.
61st edition of Fortune 500 list released; 7 Indian companies in the list
- 61st edition of the Fortune 500 list for the year 2015 was released on 22 July 2015. In 2015, Fortune 500 companies account for 12.5 trillion US dollars in revenue, 945 billion US dollars in profit and 17 trillion US dollars in market value and employ around 26.8 million people worldwide.
- The list has been topped by retail giant Walmart and is followed by petroleum refining giants Exxon Mobil and Chevron at 2nd and 3rd place. Warren Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway comes at 4th place followed by Apple Inc at 5th place.
- In 2015 Fortune 500 companies list, 7 Indian companies finds the mention. The list is topped by Indian Oil at 119th rank with revenues of 74 billion US dollars and is followed by Reliance Industries, Tata Motors, State Bank of India, Bharat Petroleum, Hindustan Petroleum, and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
National Broadcasting Day observed across the country
- National Broadcasting Day was observed on 23 July 2015 across the country. It is on this day in 1927, the Indian Broadcasting Company started radio broadcasting from Bombay station.
- To mark the day, All India Radio (AIR) organized a symposium on the subject Creation of New India and Broadcasting Medium in New Delhi.
- Colonel Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, the Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting, speaking at the symposium, highlighted the role of Prasar Bharati in taking news of public interest to the length and breadth of the country and said that government is committed to the autonomy of Prasar Bharati.
Indian-American Amitoj Chhabra won Junior Title at US Powerlifting Championships 2015
- Indian-American boy Amitoj Chhabra on 11 July 2015 won the Junior Title at the US Powerlifting Association National Championships 2015 that was held at the Golden Nugget Casino in Las Vegas.
- He lifted a total of 1383 pounds in Las Vegas to win the junior title. Chhabra squatted 485 pounds, bench pressed 325 and dead-lifted 573. He has added 100 pounds to his dead-lift in the 2014 championship.
- Chhabra began powerlifting in December 2013 and began competing in May 2014. Presently, he is getting training with Adam Lauritzen of Silverback Strength and Conditioning in Reno.
Archie Comics cartoonist Tom Moore dies at 86
- Tom Moore, the cartoonist who brought to life the escapades of Riverdale residents in Archie comics has passed away. He was 86.
- Moore, who began drawing cartoons while in the US Navy during the Korean War, died early Monday morning while in ospice care in his hometown of El Paso, his son Lito Bujanda-Moore told The Associated Press yesterday.
- He said his father was diagnosed with throat cancer within the past week and chose not to undergo treatment.
- Moore drew Archie Andrews and his friends on and off from 1953 until he retired in the late 1980s. Annual sales of the comic regularly surpassed half a million during the 1960s, according to the El Paso Times.