Hello and welcome to ExamPundit. Here are the Important Current Affairs of 14th July, 2015. These are important for the upcoming SBI PO Mains and RBI Assistant 2015 Exams.
Books For 2015 Banking/Insurance Exams
India and Georgia signed MoU for cooperation in field of Election Management
- India and Georgia on 13 July 2015 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for cooperation in the field of election management and administration. The MoU was signed by Chief Election Commissioner of India Nasim Zaidi and Tamar Zhvania, Chairperson, Central Election Commission, Georgia.
- Till now, Election Commission of India has signed twenty MoUs with Election Management Bodies and international organizations across the world.
Major purpose of the MoU between India and Georgia:
- Promotion of exchanges of knowledge and experience in electoral processes
- Exchange of information, materials, expertise and training of personnel
- Production and distribution of materials pertaining to electoral systems, voting technology, voters’ education and awareness
- Participation of women and minorities in electoral process
Nashik-Trimbakeshwar Simhastha Kumbh Mela began in Maharsahtra
- The Nashik-Trimbakeshwar Simhastha Kumbh Mela began on 14 July 2015. The year-long festival will end 11 August 2016.
- The festival, known as largest peaceful gathering in the world, began with the traditional ceremony of hoisting of flags and thousands of people taking a holy dip in Kushawart and Ramkund in Godavari River in Nashik and Trimbakeshwar.
- The ceremony at Trimbakeshwar was presided over by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and state Women and Child Welfare minister Pankaja Munde as chief guests, while Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis presided over Nashik ceremony.
- To mark the festival, the civic body has set up 'Sadhu-Gram' over 315 acres in Nashik and temporary tent-town is being supplied with toilets, 24-hour drinking water, LPG cylinders and electricity. Railways have decided to run 12 super-fast special trains between Nashik Road and Howrah on account of the Mela.
MoD and MSDE signed MoU to increase employability of ex-servicemen
- The Union Ministry of Defence (MoD) and Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) on 13 July 2015 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to facilitate strategic partnership on skill development and entrepreneurship.
- The MoU was signed by the Defence Secretary Shri G Mohan Kumar and his counterpart from MSDE Shri Sunil Arora. The MoU will provide impetus to use the skills of servicemen for the country when they retire from the Armed Forces.
- The MoU will be a harbinger of skill development in the country that will align the Armed Forces and the civilian field.
IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals suspended for two years by Justice Lodha panel
- Justice RM Lodha-headed panel on IPL Betting Scandal 2013 on 14 July 2015 suspended Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Rajasthan Royals (RR) for two years. Suspension of two times IPL champion CSK and inaugural winner RR comes with immediate effect.
- CSK was suspended by the panel citing operation rules as CSK or India Cements took no action against Meiyappan.
- On the other hand, RR was suspended on account of being directly responsible for putting the game into disrepute and Raj Kundra'a action was unacceptable.
- The panel also suspended Gurunath Meiyappan and Raj Kundra from all cricket matches for life as they were found guilty of illegal betting. They both acted contrary to the spirit of the game.
- However, the panel gave no clarification on what happens to the six players who were mentioned in the sealed envelope submitted to the Supreme Court by the Justice Mudgal panel.
IT department launched OTP to e-file Income Tax
- The Income Tax (IT) Department on 13 July 2015 launched One Time Password (OTP) based e-filing verification system for taxpayers.
- This OTP will help in ending the practice of sending paper acknowledgement, called ITR-V, through post to the I-T Central Processing Centre (CPC) based in Bengaluru.
- The facility can be accessed using internet banking, Aadhaar number, ATM and email.
- Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) in its notification said that any taxpayer, whose income is 5 lakh rupees or below per annum and has no refund claims, can straightaway generate the 'Electronic Verification Code' (EVC) for e-filing and validating their Income Tax Return (ITR) through their registered mobile number and e-mail id with the department.
Lt General Man Mohan Singh Rai appointed as Vice-Chief of Indian Army
- Lieutenant General Man Mohan Singh Rai was on 13 July 2014 appointed as the Vice-Chief of the Indian Army. Rai will succeed Lt Gen Philip Campose, who will superannuate the office on 31 July 2015.
- Presently, Rai is working as the Eastern Army Commander. He is from the Corps of Engineers and is an alumnus of National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla. He was commissioned from the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehradun, on 15 December 1976.
- Lt General Praveen Bakshi was appointed as the Army commander and moved to Eastern Command. Currently, he is serving as Chief of Staff, Northern Command.
GIFT appoints Ajay Kumar Pandey as MD
- The board of directors of Gujarat International Finance Tec-City Company Ltd (GIFT) has appointed Ajay Kumar Pandey as the new MD & Group CEO of the company, while the incumbent head of GIFT, Ramakant Jha, will move to Mumbai as the CEO of IL&FS' Smart City initiative, a statement said here.
- The appointment of Pandey as Managing Director & Group CEO of GIFT will be made effective from August 1, while he has been inducted as designate MD & Group CEO from July 14. The decision was taken at the board meeting held on July 13.
- The board thanked Jha, who successfully steered the GIFT project since November 2009, to make it India’s first global level ‘Smart City’ as well as the country’s first International Financial Services Centre (IFSC), the statement said.
- The Centre is developing 100 Smart Cities in the country. IL&FS has been approached by various state governments to provide consultancy for developing smart cities. Considering Jha’s experience in the field of infrastructure, urban development, and Smart City development, IL&FS had requested him to spearhead the group’s Smart City initiative as CEO from August 1, it said.
Awards & Honors –
'Buddha in a Traffic Jam' bagged best screenplay award at Madrid film festival
- Filmmaker Vivek Agnihotri's ‘Buddha in a Traffic Jam’ won the Best Original Screenplay award in the Foreign Language Category at the Madrid International Film Festival, Spain, which was held from 2 July – 11 July 2015.
- It also had nominations in the categories Best Foreign Language Film and Best Lead Actress in a foreign language film for actress Mahie Gill at the fest.
- Earlier, the film was premiered at the 2014 edition of Mumbai International Film Festival in the India Gold category.
India-based firm wins Microsoft Country Partner of Year Award
- An India-based software products and technology services company is among the winners of the prestigious Microsoft Country Partner of the Year Award for 2015, a recognition that honours the technology giant’s partner achievements across the globe.
- Comparex India Pvt. Ltd, headquartered in New Delhi, was honoured, along with 110 awardees in the category by Microsoft, at its Worldwide Partner Conference 2015.
- Another India-based IT company Quadrasystems.net was the finalist in the Cloud Productivity Partner of the Year category, Microsoft announced.
PM Visits –
PM Narendra Modi concluded his 6-nation tour to Russia and five Central Asian nations
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 13 July 2015 returned to India after his six-nation tour of Russia and five Central Asian countries namely Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan.
- During his eight-day visit, which took place from 6 July to 13 July 2015, he met the leaders of the five nations namely President of Tajikistan Emomali Rahmon, President of the Kyrgyz Republic Almazbek Atambaev, President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov, President of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev, and President of Uzbekistan Islam Karimov.
- During this visit, Modi also visited Russia and attended the 7th BRICS summit and 2015 Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) held in Ufa. These two events became the highlight of the visit after PM Modi met and held talks with his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif and some other leaders.
- He flew back to India from Dushanbe the capital city of Tajikistan, which was the last stop of his visit.
Major highlights of this Russia and five-Central Asian countries
- Prime Minister Modi, during his stay in Ufa in Russia, attended the Summit of the five-nation BRICS, which focused on economic and security cooperation.
- He also attended the Summit of the six-member grouping, the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, SCO, which decided to grant full membership to India along with Pakistan.
- On the sidelines of the Summit, Modi held a meeting with Pakistan Prime Minister during which a host of significant decisions were taken to improve ties. One major decision was to speed up the trial in Mumbai attack case, including providing of voice samples of the accused.
- India-Pakistan joint statement was released at Ufa, Russia
- Head of BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) nations on 9 July 2015 released the Ufa Declaration. The 7th BRICS was held under the theme ‘BRICS Partnership – a Powerful Factor of Global Development’.
- Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) on 8 July 2015 signed framework agreements for equity investments in infrastructure projects in BRICS countries
- To boost cooperation within the members of the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa), Prime Minister Narendra Modi proposed a 10 point initiative named as ‘Dus Kadam: 10 Steps for the Future’.
4 Indians figured in Asia 21 Young Leaders Class of 2015 list
- Four Indians-Mishi Choudhary, Manish Dahiya, Sanjay Vijayakumar and Aarti Wig- were figured in the Asia 21 Young Leaders Class of 2015 list that was released on 8 July 2015 in New York, the USA.
- These were part of 32 young leaders (under the age of 40), who were selected for the Asia 21 Class of 2015 by the Asia Society as part of its leader ship development programme.
- The selected leaders will be part of the Asia 21 Network where they will find mentors, potential collaborators, who are devoted to find solutions to most vexing socio-economic problems in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Asia 21 Network consists of young leaders from across the Asia Pacific, representing the private, public, and nonprofit sectors.
India second among 40 countries in terms of Confidence in National Government: OECD
- India stood second among 40 countries in terms of Confidence in National Government in 2014 as per the Government at a Glance 2015 report that placed Switzerland at the top with Norway coming in third.
- The report was released on 6 July 2015 by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). It was based on a sampling survey of 1000 citizens in each country conducted by World Poll.
- Out of 1000 Indian citizens surveyed, 730 answered in the affirmative to the question related to confidence of citizens and businesses in government to do what is right and perceived as fair.
- However, between 2007 (pre financial crisis period) and 2014, trust levels in India dropped by 9 percentage points.
Legendary music composer MS Viswanathan passes away
- Legendary music director MS Viswanathan, who had scored music for over 1,000 films, passed away at his residence early this morning following illness.
- 88-year-old Viswanathan was being treated at a private hospital here for geriatric problems. The music director is survived by four sons and three daughters.
- Viswanathan was a much sought after music director, who had scored music for a number of yesteryear hits, starring the then screen idols M.G. Ramachandran and Sivaji Ganesan.
- He had scored music in all South Indian languages and also acted in many movies.
- Born in Palakkad in Kerala, Viswanathan had scored music for over 1,000 films, some of them in association with his partner Ramamurthy. Later they parted ways.
- The Tamil cinema industry condoled the death of Viswanathan with actors and producers describing his death as an irreparable loss.